OWS/NWS discussions - same section of the night.

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:27 pm

NWS now says most of the precipitation will be off the coast, with very little in Riverside County and San Bernardino County. If there are tornados, that would definitely make the news. You dropped your estimates for snow levels, so how is that different than NWS raising theirs?
Perry
Site Admin

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:13 pm

Because I had the snow levels the highest the entire time mind you.

Also numerous thunderstorms are moving in so we will see. NWS took out chances for San Diego County so again we will see what happens. I still stick form to the dynamics and not the models.

Kevin
www.ontarioweatherservice.com

Admin note: This is a private weather forecasting service and is not associated with National Weather Service or Ontario International Airport.
OntarioWeatherService

Postby Perry » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:18 am

When I looked up at the mountain around 11:00 am the cloud layer was about 7,000 feet and above, and there was no snow below that level. When I left work this evening, it was starting to get dark but from what I could tell, there was no snow below 10,000 feet but still some clouds near the summit.

If you had not changed your original estimate, that would have been impressive to predict a more accurate snow level than NWS, and doing so over 48 hours in advance of the storm. But still, it looks like your later snow level estimates were slightly more accurate than NWS. I don't think there were any tornados though. :D
Perry
Site Admin

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:34 pm

For the last time, my discussions are for all of Southern California if you read it. My focus was not the Coachella Valley as I know it wouldn't really see much. The focus was merely West into OC/LA/Point Conception etc.

Severe Thunderstorm Warning happened, and I issued the watch the Afternoon people. Wording of a possible waterspout to become a tornado was in there as well. Need I say more? A few hours after NWS called off the storm, it hit hard and to my forecast.

Mtn High Ski Resort got a dusting, and all other forecasters predicted several inches of snow with a 6,000 Feet Snow Level. I kept mine high the entire time. The storm was Avery, but I came out winning again against the private forecasters. The people over at rimoftheworld.net loved it.
www.ontarioweatherservice.com

Admin note: This is a private weather forecasting service and is not associated with National Weather Service or Ontario International Airport.
OntarioWeatherService

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:56 pm

OntarioWeatherService wrote:A few hours after NWS called off the storm, it hit hard and to my forecast.

How about some numbers that we can compare?...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby HikeUp » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:16 pm

Yes. Numbers and clear, succinct narrative. Something useful for hikers.
HikeUp

Postby magikwalt » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:58 am

Isn't there a weather site that would be more interested in this mumbo jumbo? If its not specific to hiking around San Jac or San G then post it elsewhere.
magikwalt

Previous

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics