San Gorgonio

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

San Gorgonio

Postby guest » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:59 am

Hiked Vivian Creek trail yesterday, the weather was excellent! (Where were you Perry, slacker!). Started about 8am, was maybe 60's, possibly reached the high 70's then back down as we ascended, (might have hit the low 80's on the way back to car).

Summit (around noon) was possibly high 40's low 50's as the wind, which we only encounter on that last 1 1/2 miles of exposed trail) was blowing about 10-15 mph. Visibility was 40+ miles.

Very clear, and, there water all along the creek by the flat, meadow area (2 miles in) all the way till High Camp (which, per a previous post, has a 4 ft. deep wash-out), even the little waterfall there is flowing!

Wear your good shoes, as the summer rains washed much of the top soil away.

FYI, Mill Creek Ranger Sta faxed my permit back to me within an hour of submitting it, I wouldn't count on this, but it was cool!

ss

Postby Ellen » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:05 am

Howdy Guest :D

Thanks for the hike report 8)

I'm headed up Vivian Creek this Sunday Sept 16. I'll start around 6 AM and summit in about 4 hours. Is anyone else going?

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby AlanK » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:09 am

ellen -- Brace yourself for the new look of things at and above High Creek. Mother Nature went a bit wild on September 1. There's nothing there to impede your hike, though! :D
AlanK

Postby Ellen » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:29 am

Howdy Alan :D

So mother nature went nuts on Vivian on my birthday -- how appropriate :lol:

Thanks for the heads up -- maybe the new scenery will distract me from the pain :twisted:

Loved your trip report and pictures of the hail.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Dead blond hiking
Ellen

Re: San Gorgonio

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:55 pm

guest wrote:(Where were you Perry, slacker!).

I did it last night with a flashlight. Froze my ass off above treeline! But high creek was very comfortable and protected from the wind. The creekbed is all torn up now.
Perry
Site Admin

Re: San Gorgonio

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:48 am

guest wrote:FYI, Mill Creek Ranger Sta faxed my permit back to me within an hour of submitting it, I wouldn't count on this, but it was cool!

ss

I got the same service on my recent hike to Dollar Lake Saddle via Alger Cr, Saxton Camp, and Plummer Meadows. I got the permit back on a day that the office is officially closed. The new permit system is nice!!

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics