Debate OWS forecasts

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby Local Guy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:08 pm

Your wind advisory called for 30-40 mph gusts+ in the high deserts (including the Apple Valley and Hesperia areas.

Here are yesterday's peak wind gusts from Hesperia, Apple Valley, and vicinity (observations pulled from the MesoWest website).

Phelan: 19 mph
El Mirage: 23 mph
Lucerne: 21 mph
Means Lake: 26 mph
Victorville: 29 mph
Victorville FS: 30 mph
Hesperia: 26 mph

But again - you said specifically that a wind advisory was needed in Hesperia and Apple Valley. Clearly it wasn't. Explain to me how you did better?
Local Guy

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:14 pm

The official forecast is what counts. My forecast page for winds said this.

WINDS - Upper level jet moving into the area over the Afternoon and Evening will cause Southwest flow on the surface from the Tehachapi Mountains into the High Desert areas. Winds are expected to be over Wind Advisory level and an OWS wind advisory has been issued for the High Desert areas. Jet dynamics will not favor the San Diego or Riverside Mountains for a wind event and no advisory has been issued for them. Hazardous boating conditions will exist near the Channel Islands at 45+ mph in gusts and a special statement on the Sailor's Report has been added for low level winds out of the Northwest.

Where is Apple Valley on that?

I already have you the wording for the official wind advisory as well. Nowhere did it mention them. High Desert goes all the way out past Barstow. 30mph gusts are OWS wind advisory criteria. 50mph is wind warning.
Now you explain to me where you saw the wording in the OFFICIAL site forecast.
www.ontarioweatherservice.com

Admin note: This is a private weather forecasting service and is not associated with National Weather Service or Ontario International Airport.
OntarioWeatherService

Postby Local Guy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:28 pm

It may not be the "officially" worded forecast from your website, but on Sept 13, 2007 at 3:44 PM, while trying to prove that you were so much better at forecasting than the professional meteorologist who "don't think outside the box", you said -

OntarioWeatherService wrote:I had a wind advisory out for the High Desert regions since 12am this morning. NWS had nothing then and now does in Barstow. It needs to be in the Antelope Valley as well, into Hesperia and Apple Valley. I don't use their techniques for my forecasts either.

I'll repeat what you said -

"It needs to be in the Antelope Valley as well, into HESPERIA and APPLE VALLEY."

Not to mention, I saw your wind advisory graphic, and you had painted in most of the Hepseria and Apple Valley area! Hence, it was under an OWS wind advisory, no?
Local Guy

Postby MachineHead » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:41 pm

Kevin,
You are never wrong because you just change what said previously. You can never be wrong about a wind advisory when you have no definition of what a wind advisory means!
MachineHead

Postby MachineHead » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:49 pm

OntarioWeatherService wrote:Not sure what that means but it sounds very disrespectful to someone like me.

My ancestors were from the ancient Greece , Spartans.

That's probably where I get my don't give up to know one attitude, and press forward until death.

yes I'll be forecasting till I die is where I'm getting at.

...as I said, delusions of grandeur...

I really wish you would learn how to spell.
MachineHead

Postby MachineHead » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:52 pm

It amazes me that you dont give up even when you have been proven to be wrong.
MachineHead

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:56 pm

OWS wind advisory is different than NWS.

OWS Wind Advisory is 30mph gusts

OWS High Wind Warning is 50mph gusts.

Highly different and we do not like, or go by any crap from NWS.

Admin note: This is a private weather forecasting service and is not associated with National Weather Service or Ontario International Airport.
OntarioWeatherService

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:56 pm

HikeUp wrote:physicslord:

You weren't silly enough to actually click on the links to his website were you? :roll:

That would be me. :oops:

Maybe Kevin's web traffic is due to public confusion that it's associated with National Weather Service, given that there is a major airport in Ontario. And 2 million hits per month? My photography page has a slightly higher Alexa ranking than OWS, but I'm not getting anywhere near that much web traffic.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:47 pm

Ah Perry, alexa is inaccurate. The site basically is a spyware. Gets stats but man can be a spyware site.

OntarioWeatherService

Postby Perry » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:49 pm

True, there are ways to artificially boost Alexa rankings. But since I'm not doing that for my site, then your site should be significantly higher if you are being truthful about your web traffic.
Perry
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics