Debate OWS forecasts

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:23 pm

Mike is a beginner. His site is small compared to my own anyhow and he isn't a competition to OWS knowledge.

His site is for relays into simple terms. Mine is what will get me noticed by the main field I am in. Shows I am worth hiring for someone's forecast. In time I will be offering OWS as a private profit making forecast site for Southern California area. This is just the tip of the iceberg to show I know my stuff. Two million hits a month on average to OWS. Mike doesn't even get a 1/4 of that.

I didn't ask for your opinions on my quake stuff. I just posted links with your free will to click them or not. I never said I want feedback in that quote.
www.ontarioweatherservice.com

Admin note: This is a private weather forecasting service and is not associated with National Weather Service or Ontario International Airport.
OntarioWeatherService

Postby MachineHead » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:28 pm

Everyone has a site to plug, I guess...
MachineHead

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:36 pm

Yes true. There are many pilots, sailor's truck drives and hikers that visit OWS for the in depth analysis on the forecast. Heck I get firemen and police officers e-mailing me about the local area.

The santa ana winds are dangerous to sailors and I have saved a few lives with the forecast to STAY OUT OF THE WATER during them. They do blow out of the Ventura County Mountain passes toward the ocean when strong enough and can be very deadly. A sailor gave me a story about his friend getting thrown overboard due to Santa Ana Winds when the weather forecast said nothing out in the ocean. His friend did not make it.

So of course people have preferences to which sites they want to go to.

I scale it like this.

If you want quick forecasts go to Mike's.

If you want a wrong forecast go to TWC and Accuweather.

If you want a scientific discussion go to NWS and OWS.

Admin note: This is a private weather forecasting service and is not associated with National Weather Service or Ontario International Airport.
OntarioWeatherService

Postby MachineHead » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:31 pm

Just so you know, you have delusions of grandeur. Not that will phase you...
MachineHead

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:24 pm

Not sure what that means but it sounds very disrespectful to someone like me.

My ancestors were from the ancient Greece , Spartans.

That's probably where I get my don't give up to know one attitude, and press forward until death.

yes I'll be forecasting till I die is where I'm getting at.

OntarioWeatherService

Postby Local Guy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:11 pm

OntarioWeatherService wrote:I had a wind advisory out for the High Desert regions since 12am this morning. NWS had nothing then and now does in Barstow. It needs to be in the Antelope Valley as well, into Hesperia and Apple Valley. I don't use their techniques for my forecasts either.

Good thing you had that wind advisory out for the High Desert areas of Hesperia and Apple Valley!!! :roll:

I see your "flawless" forecast called for wind gusts between 30 and 40 mph! However, one look at the observations from yesterday and today show that all stations but one in the Hesperia, Apple Valley, Victorville, and Lucerne Valley areas only saw wind gusts in the 20s! The only exception was a single 30 mph wind gust at the Victorville Fire Station. Sustained winds were only in the teens. Hardly worth warning people about, especially in an area where people are used to strong winds!

At the time of your original post, the NWS was forecasting wind gusts between 25 and 30 mph. Looks like they out forecasted you on this one.
Local Guy

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:14 pm

Edwards and Mojave are in the area as well. Don't forget it.
37mph gusts yesterday there.

I beat the crap out of them yesterday. And I'll do it again today.

They under forecast thunderstorms as well. They do NOT have the right to forecast my area.

OntarioWeatherService

Postby Local Guy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:46 pm

But you said a wind advisory was needed in Hesperia and Apple Valley. Clearly it wasn't. Explain to me how you did better?
Local Guy

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:52 pm

And to be clear, the official OWS wind advisory said.....

High Desert
- OWS Wind Advisory Issued for 30-40 mph gusts+ possible from 4pm to 12am. Downsloping from the San Gabriel Mountains will result in stronger winds as an upper level jet dynamics moves overhead from the trough offshore.

Of course the Barstow area is included in the High Desert.

OntarioWeatherService

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:00 pm

Also this is the OWS forum

I use it to store forecasts and important info as well. A ton of forecasts are there as well as the UWD's and how they are written.

http://ontarioweatherservice.com/forum/

OntarioWeatherService

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics