Meteorologist.

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Meteorologist

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:47 pm

Thanks Kevin - Here is another website that you could help
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31839
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby AlanK » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:50 pm

You throw out lots of terminology. But your basic claims are unsupported.

For example, you assert over and over that no one from conventional weather prediction services is from Southern California or knows Southern California. That's a bunch of bull. Slandering your competition does not gain you credibility.

If you want to establish that you are better at predicting the weather than someone else, show some hard statistics ofer a decently long period. Of course, to make those statistics believable, they'd need to be gathered by an unbiased outside party.

If you want to make a good impression here, wait until you see a storm coming a week or more in advance. Hit a few of those accurately this winter and your fan base will grow.

Same with earthquakes, by the way.
AlanK

Postby Local Guy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:21 pm

OntarioWeatherService wrote:I am in Meteorology school. I am learning things I already knew but still in the process of the school. It is easy, and I am skating by with A's.

That's because you're taking online courses through Mississippi State (which doesn't offer a real meteorology degree by the way)! Try a real Meteorology program like the University of Oklahoma or UCLA! The first year or so is always easy for the extreme weather enthusiasts like yourself. Try and stick it out a little longer. It gets a whole lot tougher! There's a reason the dropout rate is so high in a math and physics based Meteorology program. Self proclaimed experts don't last long there. Enroll with the big boys and truly become an expert!
Local Guy

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:34 pm

LG, not even close. We don't use the physics much in forecasting to be experts. I don't even know why we have to learn it. Ask any other Meteorologist. Rarely used.

Also MSU is for Broadcast Meteorology. I'll be in a Los Angeles TV news station as their Meteorologist when I'm done in the future.
www.ontarioweatherservice.com

Admin note: This is a private weather forecasting service and is not associated with National Weather Service or Ontario International Airport.
OntarioWeatherService

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:36 pm

Alan yes, I dont mention stuff unless is out of the normal.

I'll do it on my site because OWS is the largest private forecasting local service in the USA with one of the hardest terrains. I won't post those on any other message board daily. I only do it for changes in the patterns/santa ana winds/storms.

Thats it.

Also I name the storms. It's one of OWS's well known novelties. That's how I keep track of them.

Admin note: This is a private weather forecasting service and is not associated with National Weather Service or Ontario International Airport.
OntarioWeatherService

Postby Local Guy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:09 pm

OntarioWeatherService wrote:We don't use the physics much in forecasting to be experts.

So "jet dynamics" and "vorts" have nothing to do with physics? So how do you know what the atmosphere's response is going to be to these "dynamics" if you don't understand the physics behind that response (the term "dynamics" is completely non-descriptive by the way)? In the atmosphere, A does not equal B. The atmosphere is much to complex and non-linear to be that simple.

FYI - Much of what we know about "jet dynamics" (aka the Geostrophic and Ageostrophic motions associated with a jet streak) comes from the QG equations. You should look them up some time. For fun, try and derive them. Start with F=ma and go from there. When you're done, you should end up with something that takes up an entire dry-erase board, or about 5 pages of paper (maybe more).
Local Guy

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:20 pm

I know the physics, but it's mainly about patterns. The shapes of jet streams on upper air models, or vorts came be great tools in the short term of forecasts. You just need to know that.
I'm not saying you need physics, but it can help. All the other stuff like the math makes it too complicated for a simple forecast.

OntarioWeatherService

Postby Local Guy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:36 pm

OntarioWeatherService wrote:I'm not saying you need physics, but it can help. All the other stuff like the math makes it too complicated for a simple forecast.

Physics and Math are married to each other. There's no separating the two. Seriously, you're quite passionate about "science." Start at the beginning and work your way up. If you work at it long enough, you will have no problem learning the math. Telling yourself that you can't do it is the easy way out. Prove to yourself that you can do it before you try to prove to everyone else that you're a legitimate "Meteorologist." If your goal is to be on TV, focus on that. Don't let your vision of yourself taint your future. A TV station is going to want to hire someone who gets along with others, not someone who is argumentative and extremely defensive when his "out-of-the-box" theories are challenged. If viewers find you arrogant, they're going to watch some other weatherman. It does not matter how accurate you are. In television, keeping viewers tuned in is what ensures your job.
Local Guy

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:46 pm

I get the TV weather guys calling me for a forecast, and e-mailing me. They aren't from around here and moved to Los Angeles, most recently. They want a local's help to get better.

You need personality and smarts on TV.

I have a great personality in person, and I'm great in the field.

I know I can do the weather on TV. I'm different online than in person. Everyone is. This is a keyboard haha.

I taught myself differently than most scientists did today. I am good in patterns so I look for those in many of my studies.

The internet can teach you more than any college today. College is just the governments excuse to get money from taxes and that's why no job hires without a college degree really because of that tax thing.
If the government didn't get the taxes from you in school you won't go far.
I'd hire someone that knows their stuff by passion and proves it by dedication than someone with a chosen occupation to the field.

OntarioWeatherService

Postby MachineHead » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:51 pm

um, you got it backwards man. Taxes pay for school, not the other way around. You should try paying tuition sometime...
MachineHead

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics