Meteorologist.

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Meteorolgist

Postby doug m. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:25 pm

for the love of god, perry- stop him before he strikes again...

"I'm not holding a knife to anyone's throat here." not yet. yikes.
go light, go fast , go get me a beer.
doug m.

Postby GHOTI » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:27 am

Hey Alank,

Since you obviously felt compelled to point out a typo in my post, and did so, admittedly, without any compunction, allow me to be just as petty and to reciprocate.

Re: your sentence "That is not bad, it is a strength -- if they work." Do you see your error, Mr. Erudition? You commit a comma splice by joining two independent clauses with a comma. Did I mention that they are independent clauses? Surely you know this, and that the error is nothing more than an oversight, like the other ones in your post I could point out.

Thanks again for pointing out the typo in my previous post and also for the definition you posted. I'm sure you're not always such a pedantic bore.

That's all the time I have for you. Feel free to have the last word, champ. (:
GHOTI

Postby AlanK » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:57 am

GHOTI wrote:Since you obviously felt compelled to point out a typo in my post, and did so, admittedly, without any compunction, allow me to be just as petty and to reciprocate.

Re: your sentence "That is not bad, it is a strength -- if they work." Do you see your error, Mr. Erudition? You commit a comma splice by joining two independent clauses with a comma. Did I mention that they are independent clauses? Surely you know this, and that the error is nothing more than an oversight, like the other ones in your post I could point out.

Thanks again for pointing out the typo in my previous post and also for the definition you posted. I'm sure you're not always such a pedantic bore.

That's all the time I have for you. Feel free to have the last word, champ. (:

I would normally avoid participating in an exchange this juvenile, but I'll make an exception on behalf of the little child in each of us.

As I made clear in my post, I do not consider myself to be "Mr. Erudition" or anything along those lines. I may choose to point out mistakes when I encounter them. I make mistakes myself and have no objection to having others point them out as they see fit.

I may be a pedantic bore to some, but not to you. My posts have captivated you. You have created a new identity for yourself and have, so far, devoted it entirely to expressing your fascintaion with me.
AlanK

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:17 pm

The storm I said 11 days ago is not just being mentioned in a hard storm way by the NWS.

ANY QUESTIONS?
www.ontarioweatherservice.com

Admin note: This is a private weather forecasting service and is not associated with National Weather Service or Ontario International Airport.
OntarioWeatherService

Postby GHOTI » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:54 pm

"I would normally avoid participating in an exchange this juvenile,..." Huh?

Ok, I think I know what you're trying to convey, even if the sentence above is missing a preposition, a function word. Calm down, matey, you're getting too riled up. It's interesting how you can dish it out but whine when you have to face criticism. That, to me, is hypocritical.

Having said that, no you wouldn't "avoid participating in an exchange [sic] this juvenile. Why not take the high ground, like many others on this board, who never have anything critical to say, whose only interest is hiking, not tearing people down? You can't take the high ground because, like a junior high school student, you desperately feel the need to have the last word.

You are right -- you really do captivate me. Your confused and unlettered posts are quite entertaining. Do keep posting away, lest you lose my unbridled fascination.

By the way, Kevin, pay no mind to Alank's criticism. He can't help it. Criticizing is, sadly, a part of his nature, though he wants us to believe otherwise.

P.S. If someone prefaces a statement by saying that he normally would not do somethig, rest assured that such an admission is a lie.

Let it go, ok. And I hope you learn your lesson that it's not cool to point out typos. No one is perfect.
GHOTI

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:59 pm

It's fine. I take whatever people say to me, store it, think about it, and come up with a median solution if I don't like it. How I calm myself.

I'm in the middle of trying to get a story on the news about how I did this 11 days out so far, and if this storm hits, it would have been 14 day forecast

Admin note: This is a private weather forecasting service and is not associated with National Weather Service or Ontario International Airport.
OntarioWeatherService

Postby Perry » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:00 pm

Okay, at this point I'm convinced that "ghoti" a.k.a. "fish" with a linguistic twist is actually Rob (Yichus). Sorry Kevin for getting mad at you. I am going to install a modification to deal with future problems like this... Does this punctuation/grammar debate really need to drag on?

Kevin, you are welcome to state your opinions in a respectful manner, but it may not always be in your best interest to do that. If you focus on *your* work and predict storms this winter (time, temperatures, precipitation) more accurately than NWS, then I'm sure everyone here will be impressed, even your harshest critics. Even if you are more accurate than NWS 80% of the time, that would still be impressive and most people would not be overly-critical of the 20% of the time that NWS is more accurate. I invited you on this board because I believe in giving new ideas a chance to prove themselves. All that I'm asking in return is that you try not to irritate others. People have enjoyed visiting this board for awhile, and I would like to keep it that way.

It's worth mentioning that Einstein offended his professors in his younger days but turned out to be one of the most brilliant scientists in history. That's not to say that I'm endorsing Kevin, just that I'm not eliminating the possibility that he might someday discover something new, given his obsession with weather. Same with Michael. In Einstein's case, his attitude hurt his career early on, but he was able to recover it by writing papers that were peer-reviewed (not immediately accepted in the scientific community but debated for awhile).
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:03 pm

OntarioWeatherService wrote:I'm in the middle of trying to get a story on the news about how I did this 11 days out so far, and if this storm hits, it would have been 14 day forecast

Kevin, please feel free to use this board for those things (posting general weather topics in this section only, specific San J topics in the main area). There is a timestamp on all posts, and it's on my web site, not yours, so that makes it more convincing to others. I would not recommend editing your posts though.

Edit: I'm going to have to edit my post however and say that it may be a good idea for me to create a separate weather section if these posts become numerous, assuming all goes well...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:40 pm

Thanks. Yes, I'll keep it to the big stuff. It's the the smaller things that I'm really wanting to show I can help on. It's the bigger things. Avery is on the way and it's a nice storm.

Interesting about Einstein. People compared me to him but in the Weather.

OntarioWeatherService

Postby HikeUp » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:12 pm

OntarioWeatherService wrote:Thanks. Yes, I'll keep it to the big stuff. It's the the smaller things that I'm really wanting to show I can help on. It's the bigger things. Avery is on the way and it's a nice storm.

Can anyone translate this for me? I'm curious as to what he's trying to say.

OntarioWeatherService wrote:Interesting about Einstein. People compared me to him but in the Weather.

Oh the humility!!! :)
HikeUp

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics