Meteorologist.

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:34 pm

It's a pretty simple forecast site. So if you want weather quick like Mojarro's site than that is a good spot to go.
www.ontarioweatherservice.com

Admin note: This is a private weather forecasting service and is not associated with National Weather Service or Ontario International Airport.
OntarioWeatherService

Meteorologist

Postby doug m. » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:02 pm

here's an idea for a contest. let's have the economists and weather forecasters change places for a few months and see if anybody notices the difference...
go light, go fast , go get me a beer.
doug m.

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:42 pm

AlanK wrote:If you want to make a good impression here, wait until you see a storm coming a week or more in advance. Hit a few of those accurately this winter and your fan base will grow.

I was thinking the same thing. Most of the us on these hiking/climbing message boards are very interested in snow storms. Predict them better than NWS and we'll all be impressed...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby GHOTI » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:25 am

Alank,

Your know-it-all attitude is, quite franky, annoying. Chill out and stop being so critical of others. Sorry, but this is a message board, not a venue to diss people--a compunction you really should try to control. Make friends, not enemies. A good way to start: adjust the I'm-smarter-than-everyone attitude, which I know others find off-putting.

GHOTI
GHOTI

Postby MachineHead » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:23 am

Do you mean Alan or Kevin?
Alan only had one post on this thread.
Kevin is the one who thinks he's God's gift to forecasting...
MachineHead

Postby physicslord » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:18 pm

MachineHead wrote:Do you mean Alan or Kevin?

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Kind of a weird post, because Alan was one of the least argumentative people in here.

:lol:
physicslord

Postby AlanK » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:39 pm

GHOTI wrote:Alank, Your know-it-all attitude is, quite franky, annoying. Chill out and stop being so critical of others. Sorry, but this is a message board, not a venue to diss people--a compunction you really should try to control. Make friends, not enemies. A good way to start: adjust the I'm-smarter-than-everyone attitude, which I know others find off-putting.
GHOTI

com·punc·tion
1 a : anxiety arising from awareness of guilt b : distress of mind over an anticipated action or result
2 : a twinge of misgiving : SCRUPLE <cheated without compunction>
synonym see PENITENCE, QUALM

OK, I think I know what you were trying to say. I have no compunction with tweaking you for your mistake because you set yourself up in dissing me. It does not indicate that I think I know it all. I make mistakes too, including grammatical ones, with some regularity. I have no problem with people choosing to point them out. It is part of the life-long learning process.

In general, I do not feel that I am enormously critical of others. I will let others judge that, of course, but I think my record on this board is one of positive contributions. I have met quite a few people through these boards whom I enjoy knowing and about whom I have nothing critical to say. There are others I have not met but with whom I have corresponded to my benefit. There are many others whose posts have simply been helpful or interesting.

The only other thread I can recall on this board that might fit a pattern of criticism was a recent one that dealt with a rescue during a group hike. I think I made it clear on that occasion that I, along with others, thought that mistakes were made and that lessons could be learned. I certainly filed away a couple of lessons for myself from that story. It appears that the hike leader in question is a good person and even a good leader in general, and I am happy to have heard that he is leading other successful hikes. I would be happy to hike with him.

In the case of this thread, we are presented with a cocky guy with wild claims. He has come to dominate the board lately. I offered a few critical comments and gave some advice. I have no compunction about doing that. He can take them as he sees fit. Beyond that, I have found nothing to add to this discussion.
AlanK

Postby Perry » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:19 pm

GHOTI wrote:Alank,
Your know-it-all attitude is, quite franky, annoying. Chill out and stop being so critical of others. Sorry, but this is a message board, not a venue to diss people--a compunction you really should try to control. Make friends, not enemies. A good way to start: adjust the I'm-smarter-than-everyone attitude, which I know others find off-putting.
GHOTI

MachineHead wrote:Do you mean Alan or Kevin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

[Edit: I now believe that Ghoti is really Rob who previously registered as Yichus. I will install a modification to deal with future problems of aliases, also known as multiple user registrations. In a later post I apologized to Kevin for my misunderstanding.]

Kevin, you are very close to getting banned. Alan is trying to *help* you achieve your personal goal of becoming a professional meteorologist. There aren't many people in this world who will do this for you. You may have offended him enough that it's difficult to tell, but read carefully and he's thrown out some useful comments:

AlanK wrote:
If you want to make a good impression here, wait until you see a storm coming a week or more in advance. Hit a few of those accurately this winter and your fan base will grow.

Slandering your competition does not gain you credibility.

Since you are proud of your scientific education, you will appreciate what you should do in the case of your earthquake work. If you believe that you have made a major advance in geophysics -- and being able to predict earthquakes reliably would be a huge such advance -- you need to submit your work to a peer-reviewed scientific journal. Argue it with people who know the subect and can criticize if from positions of strength. In your case, your calculatons are exceedingly simple on the scale of what scientists typically encounter. That is not bad, it is a strength -- if they work. If they work, no one will be able to hide that fact.

If you end up being right, the rewards will be huge -- for everyone.

In order to get your work taken seriously, you need to subject it to peer review and criticism.

If you want to be taken seriously, learn to communicate in standard English.

Ability to communicate clearly matters a lot. No one demands perfection these days, but your posts are hard to read at times. I am not trying to dump on you. Communications skills are worth developing no matter what you do with your life.

If you choose to stick with technical areas, you are also well-advised to avoid making claims like "my theory is published" when it isn't. Credibility is essential if you are interested in being taken seriously as a weather forecaster, earthquake predictor, or just about anything else. You don't get to lose all credibility more than once.

(Mostly taken from another thread.)

This forum has had many quality discussions and given people opportunities to meet new hiking friends. Please don't ruin this forum for others by starting a downhill trend.
Last edited by Perry on Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby GHOTI » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:23 pm

Thanks, Alank, for pointing out the error in diction. So I used "compunction" instead of "compulsion." Big deal. It was a mistake, and the fact that you chose to point it out says a lot about your hypercritical nature. Do you feel (more) superior now? Is that know-it-all grin on your face getting bigger?

This is a message board, not a forum to point out typos. Grow up.
GHOTI

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:02 pm

The ban me Perry. Don't threaten a ban on me, just do it.

Slandering my competition is nowhere near what I use to do before. It was worse a year ago or so. I have a right to state my opinion that NWS is nowhere as good as me in storms/wind/etc forecasts. If people want to listen to it, they will either go with it, wait to see if I am telling the truth, or ignore it. I'm not holding a knife to anyone's throat here.
www.ontarioweatherservice.com

Admin note: This is a private weather forecasting service and is not associated with National Weather Service or Ontario International Airport.
OntarioWeatherService

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics