Page 1 of 1

Baldy solitude and deer 130712

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:33 am
by arocknoid
Afternoon start, ca. 2:00 p.m. Friday led to summit solitude on Mt. Baldy at 4:00 p.m. A cool breeze made the ascent mild and pleasant. Dead calm settled on the summit for the thirty minutes i lulled.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Played a few tunes in homage to old friends and mentors who have passed, and others who are still present, thank heavens.
I forgot to eat.
The wait for this custom guitar has been rewarded ;-)

Image

Image

Image



With descent, at dusk, saw some deer, who ignored my presence after I made sounds like a rabbit.
After fifteen minutes or so of watching them eat, my stomach reminded me to head home for the great meal I knew would be waiting:

Image

I actually said "say cheese!" to get her attention for this photo:

Image

Image

Scratching her forehead on some rough brush:

Image

Image

Image


I C U:

Image


cheers,
arocknoid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:08 am
by Wild
Very cool arocknoid! Dead calm is not a term I would ever use for my Bady summit experiences...it must have been something up there that day. I really dig the guitar, looks like my friend's backpacking one but definitely a bit different, I'm sure it sounds great, and I'm sure your audience in the heavens above enjoyed your tunes!

Nice deer pics!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:32 pm
by arocknoid
Thanks, Wild. I hope your friend enjoys much time making tunes on the trails.

Encountering deer and sheep is always a pleasure, but it was a bit worrisome to see three spotted fawns with only one doe. The small one on the right was clearly with her mom.
The two on the left were just a bit older, larger, and less spotted, and may have been sibs. (I have more photos of just those two.) They gave no indication that mom may have been nearby, and I scanned intently with eyes and ears for the duration as well.

have fun out there,
arocknoid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:55 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Nice lookin' axe you got there, 'Noid. And a good hike too. I'll have to hear you play some time.

HJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:48 pm
by arocknoid
thx Jim.

check your pm.

arocknoid

Re: Baldy solitude and deer 130712

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:40 pm
by HH8
arocknoid wrote:
Image


How mush does it weigh?
Who made it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:28 am
by arocknoid
Hello HH8,

The guitar was made by Sam Radding in SandyEggo, known for mentoring Bob Taylor and Kurt Lustig and selling them the luthiery which became Taylor guitars. He also taught/ guided many others you may not have heard of such as Deering et al.

The same Sam Radding well known in gold mining and prospecting circles.

http://bit.ly/11WAqjC

I don't know how much it weighs. It has a full 24.5" scale length, unlike many small travel guitars. The nut width of 1.75" , radiused fingerboard, and sikly setup make for comfortable playing of fingerstyle jazz. The tone is well balanced for such a small guitar, fuller in the mid-range, yet bight not thin at the top. (I go easy on it with Django-style stuff--it *is* strung extra light!)

The soft case is protective to a fault, and I am looking options for a less bulky case for hiking.

check your pm

kind regards,
arocknoid