Baden-Powell and Ross

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Baden-Powell and Ross

Postby KathyW » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:08 pm

Did a nice hike today in the San Gabriels from Vincent Gap, over Baden-Powell, on to Ross and then back over Baden-Powell on the way out on the way to Vincent Gap.

Here are some pics I took:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/3449597/7/193692619#193692619
KathyW

Postby AlanK » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:10 pm

Kathy -- I think I saw you in the Vincent Gap parking lot. I bicycled over from Islip Saddle to check out the highway and was taking pictures of Baldy next to what I think was your car. Since we have never met, it did not occur to me who you were until I saw your pictures later (if indeed that was you). :oops:
AlanK

Postby KathyW » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:32 pm

Alan: I saw you there on your bike, but I didn't know it was you. I wish I had because it would have been nice to say hello.

How was the road? Have they been working on it. One of the guys I hiked with for part of the day today said they it might open up next spring. I hope it does because it's a lot easier for me to get to that area of the San Gabriels from Wrightwood than from the other end.

Kathy
KathyW

Postby HikeUp » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:47 pm

His pictures and info are posted on another board.

I also hope it opens soon because it is easier to get to the Wrightwood area from this end!

And congrats on bagging Ross. Looks like a tough hike. How much water did you bring/use on the roundtrip?
HikeUp

Postby KathyW » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:33 am

Thanks for the link to the report - that's a forum I don't often go to these days.
KathyW

Postby AlanK » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:40 am

Thanks to HikeUp for posting the link.

By the time I had covered about 9 miles yesterday, I was wondering why the road wasn't open already. It looked great. Then, as they say, my eyes were opened. The worst spot is significantly narrower than I remember it from two summers ago. I believe that it slid last winter -- I recall someone mentioning that. It does look like we'll have a fair bit of waiting until the road is open again.
AlanK

Postby AlanK » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:03 am

KathyW wrote:Alan: I saw you there on your bike, but I didn't know it was you. I wish I had because it would have been nice to say hello.

Who knows how many of such near misses we all have. Maybe we all need to wear badges identifying ourselves as message board denizens. 8)

KathyW wrote:How was the road? Have they been working on it. One of the guys I hiked with for part of the day today said they it might open up next spring. I hope it does because it's a lot easier for me to get to that area of the San Gabriels from Wrightwood than from the other end.

You have seen the photos by now, but here is one of the worst spot. It'll be a while before we can use that stretch of highway.
AlanK

Postby KathyW » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:31 pm

wow - that spot will take some work. Maybe I'll dust off the old bicycle and use that to get to the Dawson trailhead.
KathyW

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:32 am

Alan: Thanks very much for your photos. I did Baden-Powell from Islip Saddle on Sept 1. The road looked fabulous from the PCT. Glad to know what the real situation is.

So that really bad area. Is it near Vincent Gap? Just east of Dawson summit?

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby AlanK » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:10 am

The bad area is within a mils of Vincent Gap.

By the way, welcome back, Jim! You can see that the god folks on this Board will not let you go too far away.
:o
AlanK

Next

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics