Page 1 of 2

Stolen sign, and onset photos of Hathaway Fire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:08 pm
by arocknoid
The wooden sign for Telegraph Peak was stolen between one to two weeks ago. I noticed it was gone last week when I went Three Ts to Baldy after overnighting CEBO.

Self-centered souvenir hunters are worse than litterers.

One can at least carry out litter left by others, but replacing a sign, or register, or artifact in situ is a whole nutha cuppa trouble.

Image

It was there a week before:

Image

Which is when I took photos of smoke from the Hathaway Fire just after onset, and several hours later on the return leg (a week before the CEBO/3Ts/MtB hike )

Soon after onset:

Image

Zoomed:

Image

A few hours later:

Image

The smoke extends far to the north, the dark gray band just above the ridgetop:

Image

A week later, at the end of the CEBO/3Ts/MB hike; The smoke is a funky brown haze in the Inland Empire. Dog is on watch for surreptitious rock movement.

Image

Xtra for Ellen: Fine feathered and furred friends can be seen-- BOLO high and low:

Image

Image

kind regards 'cept for thieves and four-flushers,
arocknoid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:37 pm
by zippetydude
I'm totally with you on the sign. I especially like the old and weathered ones, they show their history in the wear and tear on their finish. To me, in some way they have become a part of the wilderness. A new one doesn't replace the old one any more than planting a sapling replaces the 100 year old tree that burns in a forest fire.

I especially like your last shot. Few and far between are those sightings.

z

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:58 am
by Hikin_Jim
I hope they get termites, the b*st*rds.

HJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:16 pm
by Ellen
Howdy Aricknoid :)

I agree with your view that "self-centered souvenier hunters are worse than litterers." Grrr...

I think Hikin' Jim is being too nice -- those gutless wonders (and jerks who vandalize rocks in Joshua Tree) should have to bushwhack through a mile of chest high buckthorn, manzanita and chinquapin.

Sally and I noticed that the summit "register" on Cucamonga was actually a big plastic can that had previously held creatine. There was also an empty plastic can of another dietary supplement and the bottom of a plastic container that had probably held something like potato salad.

Thanks for the great critter pictures 8)

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:14 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Ellen wrote:I agree with your view that "self-centered souvenier hunters are worse than litterers." Grrr...

I think Hikin' Jim is being too nice -- those gutless wonders (and jerks who vandalize rocks in Joshua Tree) should have to bushwhack through a mile of chest high buckthorn, manzanita and chinquapin.
Or poison oak and poodle dog bush. :twisted:

HJ

Stealing signs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:03 pm
by RichardK
A year ago, the forest service put up a sign marking the side trail to Laurel Spring in the Santa Ana mountains. When we hiked there a few months ago, it was already stolen. :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:34 pm
by arocknoid
RichadK:

A year ago, the forest service put up a sign marking the side trail to Laurel Spring in the Santa Ana mountains. When we hiked there a few months ago, it was already stolen.


Seems like OC trails are even more prone to disrespect. Proximity and easier/heavier usage. Are the water boxes still intact at Laurel Springs?

(BTW the California Laurel has a rich and fascinating ethno-botanical history. Which can include soporific properties if indulged on a forum such as MSJORF ;)

kind regards,
Arocknoid

Laurel Spring

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:49 am
by RichardK
arocknoid wrote:Are the water boxes still intact at Laurel Springs?


Yes, both the lower and upper water boxes (cisterns?) are still there.

Here is the lower box.

Image

Here is the upper box.

Image

By the way, this is the original Laurel Spring sign that probably dates from the 1950's. We saw it in 2010 and not since.

Image

This was the new sign a year ago, now reduced to just a sign post. :twisted:

Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:55 am
by Hikin_Jim
Dr. HJ prescribes Poodle Dog Bush therapy for such clearly delusional persons. A PDB facial will do them (well, me anyway) wonders. :twisted: :lol:

HJ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:01 am
by Hikin_Jim
Of course "tick therapy" for such offenders might work quite well.

Image

HJ