Page 1 of 1

Grueling Greyback Lollipop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:10 pm
by Ellen
Howdy All :)

Joined the San Jacinto hiking club to hike from Southfork to San Gorgonio yesterday morning. Thanks to our fearless leader Danny, we got an early start (6:15 AM). It was fun to see friends I haven't hiked with in a while (Krai, Derrick and Jenn) and to meet new folks.

As we started up the climb out of Southfork, I discovered that my legs were sourdough toast. It may have been the Baldy Reigster-Ski hut loop on Friday or just a bad day. Constantly stepped out of the way so that faster hikers could pass. We took a short break at Dollar Saddle before heading up the ridge to Greyback -- the more gradual elevation gain helped me recover somewhat.

Enjoyed a lively lunch on the peak and met up other friends who'd come up from Vivian. Passed around my flask with Craggamore single malt Scotch and swaped stories. This was the first San Gorgonio summit for some of our group. Sadly, we had to descend. I suggested going down the Sky High trail to take in new sights. About half the group descended via Dollar saddle.

Once we were committed to the loop, I felt I'd made a mistake. While it was nice to wind around San Gorgonio and see the tarn, the switchbacks down to Mineshaft saddle were endless. It also seemed like we were climbing almost as much as descending. The trail was also terribly eroded in some steep areas. Fortunately, Krai and Danny slowed down so that I could join them in talking about our shared love of classic movies.

I'd forgotten that the trail is a crap-fest of scree and talus, especially from Mineshaft Saddle to Dry Lake. I found myself stumbling constantly even with poles. Despite the brace, my injured left wrist was screaming. I longed for snow to take the winter route from Dry Lake to Southfork meadows. Finally reached Southfork meadows, where I stopped to get more water. It was a very toasty day and I'd gone through my 3 liters. As soon as I stopped, the biting flies and mosquitos moved in for the kill :roll:

Once we reached the wildnerness boundary sign, the descent seemed to pass more quickly. The group who'd come down via Dollar Lake had left about an hour earlier. I'd carpooled from the ranger station with Krai. Fortunately, he also wanted to eat, so we feasted at the Oaks restaurant before heading home.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:43 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Dang, sounds grueling, but the Dry - Dollar (aka "Lollipop") loop is a long day any way you slice it.

Take care of that wrist,

HJ

Gruelling Greyback Lollipop

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:04 pm
by Cy Kaicener
Great rip report Ellen

There is a fire now that might close down the Vivian Creek trail
http://www.10news.com/news/wildfire-in- ... g-05012013

Re: Gruelling Greyback Lollipop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:46 pm
by HH8
Cy Kaicener wrote:There is a fire now that might close down the Vivian Creek trail


The weather report for 92220 (Hathaway fire) shows wind W/SW 10-15 mph