Bubonic Plague Found in Ground Squirrels

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Bubonic Plague Found in Ground Squirrels

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:39 am

Apparently, bubonic plague has been found in some ground squirrels in the Angeles National Forest. See http://www.mt-whitney.info/viewtopic.php?t=2005. I don't know that this would affect the San Jacinto Mountains at all, but it's something to be aware of. There's a link to an article that describes the symptoms. Apparently plague, in any form, can be fatal. (that would be bad)
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby halhiker » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:54 pm

Bubonic plague is not unheard of in mountainous areas and thankfully can be treated with antibiotics. We had a plague outbreak a few in the San Jacinto area and it was dealt with by putting insect killer powder in the squirrels holes. I haven't heard of one recently.

In the White Mountains several years ago I was commenting to the Ranger about how tame the chipmunks were. One was sitting on my lap at the time.
Her reply was, "Yeah, but sometimes they have bubonic plaque". You have know idea how fast I got that chipmunk off my lap. It was the first time I'd seen a flying chipmunk. Something about the "Black Death" just sounds scary.

Thank heavens for modern medicine. Some of history worst killers--small pox, rabies, whooping cough, etc.--are now not the threats to humans that they once were..
halhiker

Postby HikeUp » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:58 pm

Noticed this press release today. It's a week or two old but it's good news.

"ARCADIA, CA — August 24, 2007

ARCADIA, Calif. - Two picnic areas in Big Tujunga Canyon on the Angeles National Forest have reopened to public use. Stonyvale and Vogel Flats were closed in July by the LA County Department of Public Health following a positive test find for the plague."

"Something about the "Black Death" just sounds scary."

Reminds me of a movie called The Navigator. Unusual but good Aussie/New Zealand flick set during The Plague.
HikeUp

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:23 am

Cool! Thanks for the update.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics