Page 1 of 1

San Gorgonio Snow Climb from Southfork

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:31 pm
by Ellen
Howdy All :)

Heard that the north chutes of San Gorgonio had adequate snow, so sister Sally, Marilyn Tomsha and I started from Southfork about 6:30 AM yesterday. As we got closer to Southfork meadows, the trail became icier and we donned microspikes. I wanted to take a direct approach if possible, so we headed up the back of a ridge on the left (east) side of Christmas tree hill.

Once we crested, we were pleased to find that the moraine field was fairly well covered with snow. Even better -- we were able to walk through it in microspikes and didn't drop into the rocks or brush :D Headed up the little ridge to what I call the "staging area" for the north chutes (~10 K). At the top of the ridge, we started post holing through icy crust :? Donned snowshoes and ice-axes and headed up. We sunk in nicely with the snowshoes and were able to use them all the way up. Towards the top of the right hand chute, the snow started to thin out, so we headed over to the ridge on the right and took it up to the San Gorgonio backbone ridge.

Made our way over wind swept snow to the summit of San Gorgonio out of the wind. It had taken us 6.5 hours. By 1 PM, we started back down. We switched to crampons to descend down the ridge -- we planned to down climb or glissade depending on conditions. Before long, we were breaking through an icy crust up to our knees. I wasn't comfortable with the snow, so we continued to walk down after replacing the crampons with snowshoes.

The snow became even icier once we reached the flat area to the north of Christmas tree hill -- it glistened like an ice skating rink. I tried to retrace our route through the moraine but wound up too far to the right so that we came out on the winter snowshoe track to the east of Christmas tree hill. Took off the snowshoes (ahh!) and put on microspikes. From Southfork meadows, it was a long walk back to the trailhead. Put headlamps on for the last half hour. It was 6:15 PM when we reached Marilyn's vehicle -- a long day indeed.

Had a great meal at El Mexicano before heading home. Hopefully this incoming system will give us some new powder to play in.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:45 pm
by Derick
Ellen - did you go by Dry Lake at all? I think we did a quite different route than you on Saturday.

New powder on top of crust in those chutes doesn't sound like a good combo...

--Derick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:53 pm
by Ellen
Howdy Derick :)

We completely bypassed Dry Lake. We took the XC route I like taking when there is adequate snow coverage of the moraine field(s).

Last year, Sally and I went a route similar to yours. I believe you stayed on a ridge -- we went up a chute next to that ridge. I was following intel from the Cal Tech mountaineering club.

I am also concerned about fresh powder on top of an icy crust. Will wait until the layers consolidate to go back.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:40 pm
by lesper4
I would love to see a gramin or spot track of your route, maybe next time?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:43 pm
by Sally
Here's the pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/1009477359 ... directlink

Hi Lesper, I am going to have to be super nice to my hubby to get him to post the GPS track. Maybe on Sunday....??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:16 am
by zippetydude
I'd like to see the track too, so thanks Sally and Sallyhubby. Good job both of you, I don't like that powder over ice either. I'm glad it worked out safely.

Incidentally, is Horse Meadow completely snow covered now, or do the bushes still stick up through the snow? I always enjoy that section when it's wide open and clear with the snow sparkling in the early morning sunlight.

z