Page 1 of 1

21mile Dripping Springs/Wild Horse Loop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:35 pm
by greatshaitan
Image

About 10 days ago I did the 21 mile loop of the Wild Horse/Dripping Springs trail outside of Temecula. This hike has been on my To-Do list for a while now. Great hike, great weather. Finished the day off with a couple of beers at Killarney's.

All pictures and more information can be found on my website below.
http://www.drunkreddragon.com/images/adventures/21DSWHLoop/index.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:27 pm
by hvydrt
Thanks for sharing! How was the brush? I heard there has been some improvements in the trails around there?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:22 am
by greatshaitan
Brush was fine. Didn't have to bushwack anywhere on the trail. Beautiful, easy to follow all the way.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:14 pm
by Andy
Glad you had a good time on that trail greatshaitan. I spent a lot of time up on Agua Tibia and the Palomar Divide when I was younger and seeing this makes me want to plan a trip again soon. hearing that the trail is clear is a plus, since we used to refer to it as the "Dripping Shins" trail. Any issue with ticks?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:24 am
by greatshaitan
Andy wrote:Glad you had a good time on that trail greatshaitan. I spent a lot of time up on Agua Tibia and the Palomar Divide when I was younger and seeing this makes me want to plan a trip again soon. hearing that the trail is clear is a plus, since we used to refer to it as the "Dripping Shins" trail. Any issue with ticks?


Ah Dripping Shins, I have definitely been on many of those types of hikes, this was not one of them. No signs of ticks, especially this time of year. We didn't run into any wildlife on our trip.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:18 pm
by RickC
I did this area about a month ago after a recent storm which sent snow down to 2,000 ft. I decided to start off on a reverse route from yours and head out Wild Horse. We got out to Crosley saddle and headed back the same way. Ended up being a nice 17 mile jaunt where we saw 1 other group of 2 people the whole day and that wasn't until the end of the hike. Before the saddle about a mile or two, there is this old abandoned camp off to the right (west) of the trail down a small canyon with all sorts of weird stuff from the 70's littered about. Do you know anything about the history of this? There was all kinds of stuff out there that led me to believe someone was there for a long time. What a gorgeous empty place!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:15 pm
by Andy
2600fromatari wrote:
Andy wrote:Glad you had a good time on that trail greatshaitan. I spent a lot of time up on Agua Tibia and the Palomar Divide when I was younger and seeing this makes me want to plan a trip again soon. hearing that the trail is clear is a plus, since we used to refer to it as the "Dripping Shins" trail. Any issue with ticks?


There are ticks now! I was up there yesterday and had one of the creepy-crawlies on me within a minute of sitting down at the Cutca/WHT sign junction.

It was horrible after that as well with all the bugs swarming you in the oak groves. It was my first time there and I won't be back unless it's freezing cold.


I hear ya. I've been in that area when you look down in horror at the thousands of blood sucking polka dots. I've heard that the 'ol carcinogenic DEET works pretty well on those but I've never tried.


RickC wrote:Before the saddle about a mile or two, there is this old abandoned camp off to the right (west) of the trail down a small canyon with all sorts of weird stuff from the 70's littered about. Do you know anything about the history of this? There was all kinds of stuff out there that led me to believe someone was there for a long time. What a gorgeous empty place!


That's probably the old Crosley Homestead.. Not sure about the history of those places. I can tell you that they used to have that backwoods charmy feeling when my friends and I would get chased away for mountainbiking, i.e. trespassing around there :wink: