Page 1 of 1

Bighorn Sighting

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:02 am
by Hikin_Jim
I won't say too much about where I saw these since I understand that poaching can be a problem, but I saw these Bighorn Sheep somewhere in the back country of the San Gorgonio Wilderness recently. I suppose that they are all ewes, given the size (or lack thereof) and shape of their horns, although perhaps one is a juvenile male? I apologize for the lack of clarity, but I was shooting at maximum zoom. Note just how effective their natural camouflage is. I had a hard time seeing them except when they moved.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

HJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:06 am
by Wild
Awesome Jim !! Nice shots! You are very lucky to have witnessed that... Don't know if it was your first time or not, but I've been wanting to see those critters for years now, and still no luck! Even hanging out around indianhead and other rocky mountains in borrego, j-tree, the san g's and eastern flanks of san j. It must have been really exciting to take pics of them too!

Keep 'em coming :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:17 am
by Hikin_Jim
Thanks. I've had good "critter luck" this year; this is my second sighting. In my first sighting, I got one really super nice photo. Check out the rack on that guy on the left! That's the "grandfather ram."
Image

I've been seeing them for years although not as often as I used to.

HJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:08 pm
by Wild
Woah! THAT is freakin awesome dude!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:15 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Yeah, isn't that a nice one? In 50 years of hiking and backpacking, I've now got one decent wildlife photo. :lol: (OK, maybe a couple more, but that's really a nice one)

HJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:22 pm
by Andy
Its nice to see this sort of proof of life out there, even if I never get lucky enough to see one myself. Thanks Jim.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:07 pm
by HH8
Wild wrote:I've been wanting to see those critters for years now


Keep looking up. They watch you more often than you realize.

Re: Bighorn Sighting

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:17 pm
by HH8
Hikin_Jim wrote: Note just how effective their natural camouflage is.


See Jim's lambkin hiding behind mama?

Image

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:51 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Andy wrote:Its nice to see this sort of proof of life out there, even if I never get lucky enough to see one myself. Thanks Jim.
I hadn't seen a one since 2007. This year I saw two flocks of three each. Kind of interesting how it ebbs and flows, although this year, as in 2007, I've made a point of getting off trail and into high places. Both times this year when I saw bighorns, I was well away from any trails.

HJ