Bighorn Sighting

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Bighorn Sighting

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:02 am

I won't say too much about where I saw these since I understand that poaching can be a problem, but I saw these Bighorn Sheep somewhere in the back country of the San Gorgonio Wilderness recently. I suppose that they are all ewes, given the size (or lack thereof) and shape of their horns, although perhaps one is a juvenile male? I apologize for the lack of clarity, but I was shooting at maximum zoom. Note just how effective their natural camouflage is. I had a hard time seeing them except when they moved.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Wild » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:06 am

Awesome Jim !! Nice shots! You are very lucky to have witnessed that... Don't know if it was your first time or not, but I've been wanting to see those critters for years now, and still no luck! Even hanging out around indianhead and other rocky mountains in borrego, j-tree, the san g's and eastern flanks of san j. It must have been really exciting to take pics of them too!

Keep 'em coming :)
Wild
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:50 am
Location: San Diego

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:17 am

Thanks. I've had good "critter luck" this year; this is my second sighting. In my first sighting, I got one really super nice photo. Check out the rack on that guy on the left! That's the "grandfather ram."
Image

I've been seeing them for years although not as often as I used to.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Wild » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:08 pm

Woah! THAT is freakin awesome dude!
Wild
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:50 am
Location: San Diego

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:15 pm

Yeah, isn't that a nice one? In 50 years of hiking and backpacking, I've now got one decent wildlife photo. :lol: (OK, maybe a couple more, but that's really a nice one)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Andy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Its nice to see this sort of proof of life out there, even if I never get lucky enough to see one myself. Thanks Jim.
Andy
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: Temecula

Postby HH8 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Wild wrote:I've been wanting to see those critters for years now


Keep looking up. They watch you more often than you realize.
HH8
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Bighorn Sighting

Postby HH8 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:17 pm

Hikin_Jim wrote: Note just how effective their natural camouflage is.


See Jim's lambkin hiding behind mama?

Image
HH8
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am
Location: San Diego

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:51 pm

Andy wrote:Its nice to see this sort of proof of life out there, even if I never get lucky enough to see one myself. Thanks Jim.
I hadn't seen a one since 2007. This year I saw two flocks of three each. Kind of interesting how it ebbs and flows, although this year, as in 2007, I've made a point of getting off trail and into high places. Both times this year when I saw bighorns, I was well away from any trails.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 3 guests