Big Horn Sheep!!!

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Big Horn Sheep!!!

Postby Ellen » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:44 am

Howdy all :D

Did the South Fork loop clockwise (up by Dry Lake to San Gorgonio and down by Dollar Lake) yesterday with Lance for the first time. I usually do the loop counterclockwise. The hike up from Mineshaft flat could be called "the never-ending climb" -- made me long for the steep and shorter Vivian ascent. It was 62 degrees at the summit at 10 AM.

We were descending on the ridge trail near Little Charleton peak when I heard what I thought was a small avalanche. Suddenly, a herd (about 15) of big horn sheep ran down from the rocks above our right, acroos the trail in front of us, and continued down hill. It was a beautiful sight -- gave me goose bumps!

I've also decided that no matter which direction I do the loop, my feet hate the downhill :evil:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby magikwalt » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:57 am

I'm really getting jealous now. This past week I've had two seperate parties tell of seeing multiple deer and Big Horn sheep. Now Ellen goes hiking and gets a view right out of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom!

My feet must be too heavy!
magikwalt

Postby Perry » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:51 pm

This won't help Walt, but I saw 4 bighorn last week run right in front of me! 15 must have been unreal!
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Ellen » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:31 pm

Howdy Walt :D

I think I have critter karma, although generally it's small critters such as chipmunks and marmots. The chipmunks on top of San G love me -- may have something to do with my baked nacho cheese Doritos -- hmm maybe there's something to the "chip" in chipmunk :lol:

I also attract the marmots on top of Whitney. One year we even had a badger on top.

I'm glad I haven't run (er, hiked) into a bear yet. Unlike Perry or Z, I wouldn't be able to out maneuver one. And I don't have your intimidating stature to ward them off (perhaps they think you're a grizzly).

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby KathyW » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:12 pm

Ellen - that must have been a really beautiful site. I've never seen more than 4 together at once and I had no idea there were herds that large in the San Gorgonio Wilderness.

Kathy
KathyW

Postby magikwalt » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:00 pm

Okay I finally saw some deer on Sunday afternoon. I was beginning to think about getting glasses.
magikwalt

Postby LAMike » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:14 pm

Cy Kaicener wrote:There are some good looking women on this trail.

Sheep? Deer? I was with Cy just cresting c2c this past saturday when 8 (count 'em eight) college coeds came wandering up to the overlook! WOO HOO! (know what I mean!?)
LAMike

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics