Climbing the 10,000 foot peaks in SO CAL

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Climbing the 10,000 foot peaks in SO CAL

Postby RMRUpete » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:50 am

This is my first time posting of a TR. I was inspired by two posting, the first about the (24) 10,000 foot peaks in SO CAL, the second the ridge route from poop-out hill to near HMS. Since I have done all the 24 peaks at least twice each over the past 40 years, some like San Gorgonio (50 times or more) and San Jacinto over 100 times. I needed something different so here is what I did.

Day one, Friday Sept 14 leave South Fork Trail Head at 6am reaching Poop-out Hill at 6:45, turn right and go up the posted ridge route to the High Trial at 8:30. This route is a must for everyone, just beautiful views and a nice steady climb, by far the fastest way to HMS. Once on the trail head west climbing Alto Diablo, Shields, Anderson, East SB, and reaching SB at 10:45am. Eat some food and leave at 11 and head back east to Dollar Lake Saddle at 1:20pm. Another food break and then up to Little Charlton and back to Charlton before heading back to Dollar Lake Saddle at 3:00pm. Head back to my car using some short cuts from the end of the Dollar Lake switch back straight down to the trail from South Fork Meadow. Total: time 10 ½ hours, about 24 miles, 6,000+ feet elevation gain and loss, and 7 - 10,000 foot peaks in one day.

Day two, Monday Sept 17 leave Fish Creek Trail Head at 6am reaching Grinnell at 8:10, then on to Zahniser at 8:50. Next was San Gorgonio by taking the drainage by the plane wreck straight up to the summit at 10:20am and continuing on to Jepson 10:50 for food break. Next was downhill to Dobbs (11:30) and a 20 minute food break before a quick hike to East Dobbs (12:05). Then things got hard as I tried to traverse over to the Vivian Creek Trail without gaining or losing elevation. This took way to long (45 minutes). So once on the trail I hiked up until the terrain got easier before continuing to traverse over to Dragons Head at the edge of the Tarn. Reached Dragons Head at 1:45pm and took another 15 minutes to eat more food as my energy level was dropping. Next stop Bighorn at 2:30 and then some work again climbing back to the trail above the Tarn to go back to Mine Shaft Saddle at 3:50pm. Got to Lake Peak at 4:30pm and headed over to the 10,000 foot ridge high point at 5:15pm. Really getting tired but now it is also all downhill. Lastly was straight down a steep ridge right off the 10,000 foot ridge till I hit the Fish Creek Trail around Fish Creek Meadow. This left just the last bit of trail back to my car at 7:00pm. Total: time 13 hours, about 26 miles, 7,000+ feet of elevation gain and loss, and 10 - 10,000 foot peaks in one day.

Two days to climb all 17 peaks in San Gorgonio. Next on my list is Baldy this coming Thursday Sept 20 and then on Monday Sept 24 ride the first tram car up and hit the 6 peaks in San Jacinto. If anyone is interested in the 6 SJ peaks just hook up with me on the 10am tram car. I will be the old man wearing a bright orange t-shirt and trail running shoes. I plan on around 8 hours being back to the tramway by 6pm.
How can I be lost if I don't care where I am?
RMRU member 50 years
User avatar
RMRUpete
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:26 am

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:25 am

Dang, Pete! That's some fast moving. Very few people can do all that in two days (not me).

I'm going to have to try out the direct route from Poopout to the Alto Diablo area. Sounds like a good one. When I was on Grinnell Ridge on Thursday, I could see that the ridge in question was really steady.
Image

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby lilbitmo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:22 am

Pete,

That's some great stuff, thanks for the clues last year on the winter ridge coming off Foley Peak, we did find your tracks from two weeks before that. And it saved us time not having to post hole every step of the way :D

TRAM Closure

As you know that Monday is the re-opening of the tram, so there might be issues on the first day of re-opening but I'm sure you knew that.

It still amazes me that Rick Kent did all 17 of those peaks in one day, it hurts just to think about it, but doing it in two days is just as impressive, very nice work. :D :D :D
User avatar
lilbitmo
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Postby OtherHand » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:18 pm

lilbitmo wrote:As you know that Monday is the re-opening of the tram, so there might be issues on the first day of re-opening but I'm sure you knew that.

Pete probably doesn't really need the tram....
OtherHand
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:07 pm

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:39 pm

According to some, Pete's actually faster than the tram. :wink:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby zippetydude » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:30 am

Hi Pete. Have we met on the trail? Glad you checked out the xc route, and I agree with you, it is one sweet route. On day two it sounds like you attempted to roughly contour over to Dragon's Head, is that right? I've been talking with HJ about that, but it sounds like it didn't work out as smooth as the xc Poopout to HMS did..too much sliding scree?

Anyway, good job out there. I'm with you in that I love San G and San J, even San B (well, actually for San B I just go the the stone bench, which has the better view and is way cool) but I can only do a given route so many times. New routes to explore keep it fun and interesting.

I'm thinking about trying the ridge by Jenks Lake next, and I'm looking for a direct route up from over by Aspen Grove too. I had talked with Steve and Fern about a direct assault on Sugarloaf but HJ has fortunately already explored that for us and the feedback is a no. Rocks and no dirt means slow going and a lot of fighting the terrain...not so fun. I did Whitney last Friday, and that constant rocky section from Trail Crest to the peak is soooooooo sloooooooow. Anyway, thanks for the post. Sounds like fun, and you covered some real serious ground out there.

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Re: Climbing the 10,000 foot peaks in SO CAL

Postby HH8 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:06 am

RMRUpete wrote:This is my first time posting of a TR. ... Day one Total: time 10 ½ hours, about 24 miles, 6,000+ feet elevation gain and loss, and 7 - 10,000 foot peaks in one day. Day two Total: time 13 hours, about 26 miles, 7,000+ feet of elevation gain and loss, and 10 - 10,000 foot peaks in one day.


That's throwin' down the gauntlet! Thanks for the detailed route.

RMRUpete wrote:... just hook up with me on the 10am tram car.


LOL sounds like I should hook myself TO you instead of riding the tram
HH8
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am
Location: San Diego

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:50 am

zippetydude wrote: On day two it sounds like you attempted to roughly contour over to Dragon's Head, is that right? I've been talking with HJ about that, but it sounds like it didn't work out as smooth as the xc Poopout to HMS did..too much sliding scree?
Speaking of the Dragon's Head, here's a pic I took last week:
Image

I'm standing on the flanks of the Dragon's Head looking mostly west (WNW). The forested area just below me leads up to the saddle just north of the Dragon's Head. West of that forested area is a ridge with a partially bald knob on it with a faint reddish color. This ridge is the ridge that the Vivian Creek Trail runs along. The area between the Vivian Creek Trail and the saddle north of the Dragon's Head didn't look too bad to me. This route is mentioned on the Sierra Club HPS List as one of the routes to the mountain.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby bluerail » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:48 pm

What is wrong with you Pete ???

:D amazing...nice work!!
User avatar
bluerail
 
Posts: 2108
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:30 am
Location: La Quinta


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 3 guests