Page 1 of 1
Defenders of the San Gorgonio Wilderness Map

Posted:
Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:28 pm
by Hikin_Jim
I referred to this map in a post elsewhere. I thought it worth a post:
HJ

Posted:
Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:03 pm
by Andy
Neat stuff Jim. What are the gray/hashed areas on the map? They almost look like snow field areas.

Posted:
Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:09 pm
by arocknoid
Those are Pleistoccene glacial fields.
*vintage* snow fields.
Thanks for posting the map imiju, Jim.

Posted:
Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:44 pm
by Sally
I think Ellen has a copy of this map. Is it the one with all the cross-country routes on it? (I can barely read the lettering on my screen, but I think I see the routes.)
Very cool, HJ!

Posted:
Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:37 pm
by Andy
Vintage. I like it. must be around the area of one of Jim's posts on "Glacial Chop" ...or something. Very cool indeed.

Posted:
Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:55 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Andy, Indeed, the hashed areas are where glaciers carved their way down the mountain in the Pleistocene age. What they left behind below Big Draw (all that rubble and weird topography) is what I call the Glacial Chop Country of the San Gorgonio Wilderness.
Sally, If Ellen's map is printed on green paper, then, yes, it's the same map.
It's really a gem of a map, loaded with a lot of information. It's a true labor of love done by someone with far more familiarity with the SGW than I will probably ever have.
HJ