Banff - what I did on my summer vacation

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Banff - what I did on my summer vacation

Postby HH8 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:28 pm

Image

Drove to Banff, the first Canadian national park.
Parks Canada
Wildflowers were incredible – mosquitoes and horseflies too.
Met good people.
Peaceful lakes, tall trees, alpine meadows, exciting waterfalls.
Snowmelt everywhere.
Bonnet glacier blew me away.
Met loon, bald eagle, marmots, porcupine, trout, bighorn sheep and elk, but not grizzly.
There were types of trees and flowers and fungus I never saw before.
Post hike hot springs.
The wide open spaces vacuumed out the tedium and worries of daily existence.
I’m feeling very vacated now :-)

Full story on my flickr page
Banff
HH8
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am
Location: San Diego

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:52 am

Nice. I've been to Banff several times for XC skiing as well as in the summer. It's a great area.

Got any photos?

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Lermo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:03 am

Epic Photos & Trip! I gotta go to Banff! Maybe to the Calgary Stampede too!!
User avatar
Lermo
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:43 pm
Location: Fallbrook, CA

Postby zippetydude » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:40 am

Great trip, thanks for sharing that. I especially liked pics 128 and 619 - amazing rock formations. Looks like you got off the beaten route too, some of those pics are from some beautiful back country. I'm tempted to go if I can find a no-mosquito year!

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:12 pm

Oh, I see, you do have photos. For whatever reason, Flickr doesn't show up right on my computer. :roll:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby arocknoid » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Merci beaucoup for the post and pics.

This does not look fun:

Image

but this looks magnificent:



Image


this, too, especially the contrast of textures. And what pleasant winding trails!

Image


--begging pardon for posting the screen-stretching size, but those two landscapes demand it.

Your journey looks like it would revitalize the most burned out cinderfied kaBob.

kind regards,

arocknoid, a salubriously envious lifeform
User avatar
arocknoid
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm

Postby Sally » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:09 pm

I would like to award you "1st place' for the best TR and pics of the summer, HH8! Thanks for sharing that. A great read, indeed! It was cool seeing stuff you don't see down here, like the porcupine and all those fungi and mushrooms. I enjoyed the wildflowers and geological features, too. It's a different world up there north of the border!
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Postby HH8 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:41 pm

Sally wrote:Thanks for sharing that.


I wanted to give something back. You all motivate me.
HH8
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am
Location: San Diego


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests