San Bernardino (aka GNAT) Peak

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

San Bernardino (aka GNAT) Peak

Postby Ellen » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:38 pm

Howdy All :)

Haven't been on this trail since Sally and I did our San Gorgonio 9 peak challenge. I started shortly after 6 AM and was immediately assaulted by gnats. They swarmed around my eyes, nose and ears -- ick :evil: Why didn't I bring my headnet? Fortuantely, they disappeared around Manzanita flats.

I went XC shortly after the wooden bench and headed up a gully. Turned out, this was dry bottom section of Limber Pine spring. Crossed the trail and kept heading up. This brought me out on the trail near San Bernardino peak. Perfect!

After brunch, I headed down XC the route I normally use snowshoeing. I had to do some bushwhacking to rejoin the trail :roll: and am sporting a few new scratches. Decided the XC route down is best done with snow. When the gnats reappeared to torture me on the descent, I pulled a "St. Florian" and donned hat, sunglasses and bandana. I finished with a sweat covered face but was completely protected from the gnats.

I think I'll wait until it gets colder to do San Bernardino peak again.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: San Bernardino (aka GNAT) Peak

Postby HH8 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:41 pm

Ellen wrote:assaulted by gnats


What no vampiric mosquitoes?
No chunk-munching horse flies?
HH8
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am
Location: San Diego

Postby zippetydude » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:48 pm

I don't know if the extra monsoon rains this year made the gnats worse, but they've been awful. I did San G on Saturday starting at noon and didn't encounter any gnats at all over on South Fork. Momyer is so horrid I just turned around the weekend before after just a few minutes. Hate those nasty suicidal gnats. They don't bite or anything, they just fly down your throat, up your nose and in your eyes and ears! Glad they disappeared at the flats.

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Postby arocknoid » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:42 pm

Achh, I commiserate re: gnasty gnats.

Glad you persevered despite the pestilent phlebotomites.

The skeeters are likewise extra vexing this year. And extra large.

"How large *are* the skeeters on San Gorgo this year?"

"Why, they're so large, on a recent overnight trip I awakened to a frightful buzzing, followed by sotto voce 'Should we eat 'em in the tent, or take 'em outside?' "


.


.


.


.

Replied the second Mosquito From Teh Steroid Swamp, "Eat 'em in here. If we take 'em outside, the big ones will take 'em away from us."

Large, I say.
Large.

howls and growls,
arocknoid
User avatar
arocknoid
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:30 am

If we take 'em outside, the big ones will take 'em away from us
:lol: :lol:

OK, so it's not just me. I've thought the skeeters were unusually bad this year.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Ellen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:30 am

Howdy Arocknoid :)

Another hilarious post, thanks 8) I loved your Little Shop of Horrors reference as well. Looks like I may need to start a separate thread of "Arocknoid Hiking Humor" as I did with Hikin' Jim.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

arocknoid wrote:Achh, I commiserate re: gnasty gnats.

Glad you persevered despite the pestilent phlebotomites.

The skeeters are likewise extra vexing this year. And extra large.

"How large *are* the skeeters on San Gorgo this year?"

"Why, they're so large, on a recent overnight trip I awakened to a frightful buzzing, followed by sotto voce 'Should we eat 'em in the tent, or take 'em outside?' "

Replied the second Mosquito From The Steroid Swamp, "Eat 'em in here. If we take 'em outside, the big ones will take 'em away from us."

Large, I say.
Large.

howls and growls,
arocknoid
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 3 guests