Page 1 of 1
Ladder Canyon

Posted:
Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:25 pm
by wb
I am considering taking some friends into the Ladder Canyon area to do the loop. Since I've never done this hike, can anybody advise me on the degree of difficulty, accessability, potential dangers and any other relevant info? My friends could do a 5-mile walk, but probably not more than 1000 feet of climbing. Thanks!

Posted:
Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:40 am
by drndr
I'm assuming the same hike as Painted Canyon out by Mecca. If they can walk 5 miles and climb a ladder onto their roofs then they can do this. I've seen all ages and types out there. Of course the biggest factor I think this time of year is the heat
D

Posted:
Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:38 pm
by neverwashasbeen
Two items to consider, first, when are you thinking of doing the hike? Now wouldn't be very enjoyable due to the heat. Second, I'd strongly suggest that you go when it's crowded if you've never been before. You could end up making a number of unplanned side trips if you've never been before. Otherwise, it's a great hike!

Posted:
Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:53 pm
by halhiker
If you go now, you'd better go early. It can get warm and there's no shade. I know a guy who almost died due to the heat and taking a wrong turn.
The hike itself is not too tough but like neverwashasbeen said, you can take a few side trips so it may be best to wait. I have, however, taken kids as young as 6 on this hike so that tells you how tough it is.

Posted:
Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
by wb
Thank you drndr, neverwashasbeen & halhiker for the great advice. We're looking at mid-October. If the temps exceed 90, we'll reschedule for later. We're looking at a weekend hike, so I am guessing that we'll have company. Many thanks again for your valued counsel!
