Foreseeing 59

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Foreseeing 59

Postby Ellen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:10 am

Howdy All :)

I lasted three days without hiking after returning home from backpacking with sister Sally. Initially thought I would be doing Langley this weekend but my brother and sister in law came into town for my birthday.

On Friday, I went up Register Ridge to Baldy and came down the Bowl. Met a really nice group of folks starting out. One woman asked if I was the "Infamous Ellen" :oops: Hmm...maybe I should start wearing a paper bag over my head and become the "Unknown Hiker." Unfortunately, I think the bloody legs would still give me away :lol:

Yesterday I decided to head up Forsee to Anderson peak. I departed the trail and went up the winter route. Route finding was fun but I had to dodge alot of trees and other obstacles. There was a lovely breeze which kept the temperature cool and discouraged the bugs 8) On top of Anderson, I was unpleasantly surprised to find toilet paper strewn around the summit :? Heard a helicopter over Mill Creek while I snacked -- don't know if this was a practice run or an emergency event.

Tried to retrace my XC route on the descent -- much easier to do when you're following your snowshoe tracks :lol: Before I rejoined the trail, I spied a glint of metal buried in the loam and stopped to investigate. Turned out to be a Sierra cup, which I retrieved and packed out. Once back on the trail, I ran into a large group of Asain hikers going up -- felt like I was on Baldy again.

Made it back to my car with no new blood (yea!). Once I got back on the highway, I got stuck behind a van and SUV. Neither driver knew the meaning of "turnout" :? The van turned left after the Mill Creek RS, but I was stuck behind the SUV until after Mentone.

My brother Jim is an amazing cook and made home-made pizza (even the crust) for my birthday dinner -- yum!!! All in all, a perfect day to celebrate another year.

I am blessed with a wonderful family and friends -- including all of you. Thanks for enriching my life.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Foreseeing 59

Postby HH8 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Ellen wrote: my birthday


Glad it was a happy one. more to follow
HH8
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am
Location: San Diego

Postby Sally » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:26 am

I figured you'ld be traipsing about on a mountain on your b-day!

Looking forward to hiking this Wednesday, "old" friend!
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Postby AlanK » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Was "Foreseeing 59" a typo? It should have been 39, right?
User avatar
AlanK
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Glendale, CA

Postby Ellen » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:21 pm

AlanK wrote:Was "Foreseeing 59" a typo? It should have been 39, right?


:lol: Thanks Alan 8)
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby AlanK » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Ellen wrote:
AlanK wrote:Was "Foreseeing 59" a typo? It should have been 39, right?


:lol: Thanks Alan 8)

For catching the typo, I assume! :D
User avatar
AlanK
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Glendale, CA

Postby zippetydude » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:58 pm

Happy Birthday Infamous Ellen!

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Postby arocknoid » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 pm

Happy Birthday, Ellen!

May you follow a path which is good, and true.

kind regards,
arocknoid
User avatar
arocknoid
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:15 am

AlanK wrote:Was "Foreseeing 59" a typo? It should have been 39, right?
I thought she was just predicting her 59th Birthday. :wink:

Ellen wrote:Made it back to my car with no new blood
Ellen, I'm sorry, but I'm not sure if we can accept this as a legitimate hike if there was no blood. :wink:

But irrespective of that, happy birthday you inspiring youngster. :D

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests