Page 1 of 1

Malevolent Mill Creek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:49 pm
by Ellen
Howdy All :)

Headed up Vivian Creek early yesterday to introduce the Dobbs ridge to my friend Marilyn. We got an early start (5:45 AM) and carried rain gear. The humid, moist air brought out the gnats -- ugh :x I love going up Dobbs because it's a kick ass climb and the ascent is mostly shaded. As a fellow mistress of pain, I knew Marilyn would enjoy Dobbs and she did. We kept our eyes on the weather the entire time -- knowing we needed to be off the exposed ridge in case of lightning. It took us about 5 hours to reach San Gorgonio, where we had a brief 15 minute break and sent out SPOT messages.

We made our way quickly back down to treeline and then High Creek camp. We ran into two groups of two day hikers who asked how far it was to the summit. How does one answer that question? Continued down and met a group of backpackers who asked how long it was to High Creek Camp. Right as we reached the Halfway Camp junction sign (1:10 PM), it started to rain and we donned rain gear. The storm kicked into high gear and we were treated to flashes of lightning and cracks of thunder. It even hailed for a bit. We considered ourselves lucky to have missed the brunt of the storm. Ha, ha...

As we approached the wilderness boundary sign, we heard a constant roar. I assumed it was Big Falls. When we started to descend away from the Falls, we could still hear a loud, persistent rumble. Uh oh. Finally arrived at the bottom of the swtichbacks to find four stranded hikers. Marilyn and I walked out to survey the extent of the flooding -- there was a torrent of muddy water hurtling down numerous channels in the Mill creek drainage. We retreated to join the other stranded hikers who were taking shelter from the pelting rain under trees.

When the rain started to quiet, we ventured out again. This time we headed downstream. Another hiker came out with a solo female hiker and started looking as well. He thought upstream looked better. We followed him until we all saw a low wall of muddy water headed at us -- yikes! We headed back to the high rocks on the side of the creek bed. The rain stopped and when conditions started to look better, we ventured down stream again. We were able to cross numerous smaller streams but a torrent of fast moving muddy water right next to the oppossite bank stymied our progress. Arrgh, so close yet so far.

Tried to cross at one point and ended up being carried downstream feet first. Got out of that mess covered with muddy sand. I was in shorts (of course) and now had bloody knees from being bounced along the creekbed and hit by rocks. Continued downstream once again and finally got across and up the embankment. We had to cross several more small creeks on our way back to the cars.

Once in the parking lot, people stared and asked us what had happened. We were laughing with relief as we tried to get our boots off and shake some of the mud off our gear. Marilyn brought dry clothes and changed -- I shook off as much wet sand as I could manage. The amount of sand on every part of my anatomy reminded me of being slammed into the ocean floor while body surfing. The four other hikers got across safely. Marilyn headed home (don't know if her boyfriend will ever let her hike with me again) and took in some nourishment at El Mexicano (put a dry towel down on the seat first).

Of all the weather possibilities that we anticpated, flooding wasn't one of them. Another hard lesson learned. The last time I recall a serious Mill Creek flood was in July of 1999. Today I read that other hikers were stranded and rescued -- that explained the emergency vehicles at the Momyer trailhead.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Sandy Ass and Bloody Blonde Hiking

Malevelent Mill Creek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:28 pm
by Cy Kaicener
Interesting trip report. The link below is from yesterday. Today the predition was for a 70 percent chance of thunderstorms

http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_21337023

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:11 pm
by jfr
See this post from the San Gorgonio Board (with embedded video) of yesterday's flash flood in Forest Falls:
http://members.boardhost.com/sgva/msg/1345252355.html

The front edge of a flash flood usually has lots of debris, like logs and trees...

edit: Oops! Just saw that other post with the same video... :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:32 am
by Sally
Great TR, friend. Glad to hear you got away with only bloodied knees and sand in your pants! Yikes! After viewing the video I think you're pretty lucky!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:51 am
by Lermo
Great TR Ellen! Unbelievable! I saw that flood footage on the San Diego news on Saturday.

Seriously Ellen, you need to write a book about your hiking adventures! I just read a book called "Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail " by Cheryl Strayed. While it is a fantastic book, Ellen's adventures make this and all of mine look very tame.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:52 am
by zippetydude
Every time I go up Vivian in the summer I wonder if I'll get stranded. How long did you have to wait? Seems like you might want to wait just a little longer next time...I'm sure glad you're okay! I agree with Lermo, you do seem to have rather epic adventures. If "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is true, you should have super hero strength by now!

z

Re: Malevolent Mill Creek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:18 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Ellen wrote:...and now had bloody knees from being bounced along the creekbed and hit by rocks.
:shock: :shock:

Ellen, I know blood is your trademark, but isn't that taking it a little far? YIPES! Glad you're OK.

HJ

Re: Ellen's mistakes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:02 am
by Ellen
Howdy All :)

As with my 2008 hiking misadventure, I posted the TR to illustrate what I did right and what I did wrong.

What I did right:

Started very early to be off the summit and back in the trees when the storm hit. We had rain gear, warm/dry clothing and extra food.

What I did wrong:

Did not anticipate the Mill Creek flash flood in spite of the NWS warning. I haven't seen Mill Creek flood like this since the Forest Falls disaster in July of 1999.

I also should have waited a bit longer to see if the water level dropped.

Part of the reason that we crossed sooner rather than later was to get help for the other four stranded hikers -- they did not have rain gear or warm clothes and a woman about my age was experiencing hypothermia when we first met them at the bottom of the switchback. I did not have cell phone coverage. I also did not feel that the situation was dire enough to hit the 911 button on my SPOT.

We were just getting ready to go to the fire station for help when the woman's son (the fellow who also was looking for a place to cross) came up and told us everyone was OK. I still don't know whether they were rescued by the fast water team or made it across without help.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen






Hikin_Jim wrote:
Ellen wrote:...and now had bloody knees from being bounced along the creekbed and hit by rocks.
:shock: :shock:

Ellen, I know blood is your trademark, but isn't that taking it a little far? YIPES! Glad you're OK.

HJ