10,000 Essentials -- A Method to My Madness

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

10,000 Essentials -- A Method to My Madness

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:04 pm

For those who may not know of my madness, I've been accused of carrying the "10,000 essentials." In other words, there are those who have subtly hinted that my pack may be a little on the big side.
cynthia23 wrote:HJ, I gotta ask--what the #@$% did you have in that pack?

Image

OK, so what was that big pack on a day hike all about? Well, that was a "dry run." I took the equivalent of a full overnight pack and packed in to Little Jimmy Trail Camp in the Angeles National Forest. I wanted to see if I could carry enough gear for two people (daddy and daughter). I wanted to see if an overnight backpack with my daugher were possible. Keep in mind that I typically have to carry my daughter and that my daughter weighs about 30 lbs. In other words, if I have a 30 lbs pack, when I add my daughter's weight in, I'm carrying 60 lbs.

The dry run was successful, and so this past weekend I took my daughter out for her first overnight backpack. Here's my trip report:

We started out by taking the Pacific Crest Trail (and a little short cut). The PCT parallels Angeles Crest Highway here.
Image

We went up after work, and it was an hour's drive, so it got dark quickly. First order of business was site selection, but a not too distant second was getting dinner ready.
Image

Very quickly thereafter, a very sleepy little hiker retired for the night.
Image

Note the use of an ultralight, floorless shelter. Careful gear selection let me keep the weight down to about 30 lbs for two people including food, fuel, and water.

Sleepy or not, my daughter doesn't sleep late, so we were up pretty early in the morning.
Image

Time to get breakfast started. I'm currently field testing a new Primus OmnilLite Ti which is the newest offering from Primus. On the OmniLite is a "silent" cap (like a muffler for your car but for a stove) from QuietStove.com which I'm also field testing.
Image

In no time at all we've got a nice sausage and cheese omelette.
Image

And after breakfast, we see we've got a happy camper. :)
Image

For those who haven't been, Little Jimmy Trail Camp is a nice spot to camp.
Image

One of the great things about Little Jimmy Trail Camp is the presence of nearby Little Jimmy Spring which is a highly reliable source of clear, cold water.
Image

Well, enough time spent in camp! Let's hit the trail.
Image

Looking to the west over our intended destination, Mt. Islip, the weather is looking good.
Image

But a quick look to the east, changes my opinion. Looks like we might get a little wet today.
Image

Still, the storm is a ways off, so we "stop to smell the roses."
Image

Nearing the summit, we can see that the San Gabriel Mountains Trailbuilders have been hard at work. Fresh trail maintenance.
Image
Thank you, Trailbuilders!

At last, we near the summit ridge for the final push, and the weather continues to hold.
Image

From our position high on the south flank of Mt. Islip, we get a good look at Mt. Hawkins and Hawkins Ridge.
Image

Moving higher, we approach the very summit and encounter the remains of this old cabin. This was the fire lookout's quarters back when a fire lookout was stationed atop Mt. Islip.
Image

Finally, we reach the summit itself. Note the foundation of the old fire lookout tower.
Image

One look at the view and it's clear why the Forest Service chose this spot for a lookout.
Image

Whoa! That storm is hot on our heels. Better get on down the mountain.
Image

For our route down, we chose this, the forested north ridge of Mt. Islip.
Image

There's no formal trail, but there are bits and pieces of a peak-bagger's trail.
Image

From our vantage point, we look WSW at Twin Peaks and its great SSE ridge.
Image

Note in particular Triplet Rocks. This is perhaps the single most difficult summit to attain in all of the San Gabriel Mountains.
Image

Descending further, we enter the more flat areas proximate to Little Jimmy.
Image

From here, we retraced our steps back to our car and made our journey home.

I thank you for joining me for my daughter's first overnight backpack. Now, you'll have to pardon me. It takes a while to unpack 10,000 essentials. :wink:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby drndr » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Very nice. I only car camped when mine were that age. When my oldest turned 8 we did a 2 nighter in the Grand Canyon carrying 60 lbs between us. He had 10lbs and you can guess what I had. Love your pics.
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:10 am
Location: Riverside

Postby Sally » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:20 am

A very enjoyable TR, HJ! 10,000 essentials, ha ha! Well, I guess when you're packing for two you need more stuff.
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Postby Andy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:32 am

Congrats on the inaugural trip Jim! Our son will be 2 in Oct and I've been planting the "backpacking seed" with my wife for a while. I'm going to use your post as part of my propaganda :lol: Can I ask how old your daughter is now?

Great TR/pics and that site with water is priceless in our area. Thanks!
Andy
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: Temecula

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:00 am

drndr wrote:Very nice. I only car camped when mine were that age. When my oldest turned 8 we did a 2 nighter in the Grand Canyon carrying 60 lbs between us. He had 10lbs and you can guess what I had. Love your pics.
Grand Canyon? Wow!

I just did a short, local hike. Not sure about that Grand Canyon thing unless I start hulking out.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:24 am

Andy wrote:Congrats on the inaugural trip Jim! Our son will be 2 in Oct and I've been planting the "backpacking seed" with my wife for a while. I'm going to use your post as part of my propaganda :lol: Can I ask how old your daughter is now?

Great TR/pics and that site with water is priceless in our area. Thanks!
Hi, Andy,

My daughter is 2.

That spot, Little Jimmy, is a really good spot for a first BP because it can be reached in half an hour's walk, and there's a reliable water source year round.

I would think that the following would be good spots for a first BP with kids:
San Jacintos
-Round Valley or Tamarack from the tram
San Gabriels
-Little Jimmy from Angeles Crest Highway via the service road and PCT
-Switzer's Camp
-Hoegee's Camp
-Confluence Camp (near Buckhorn, unofficial)
-Cooper Canyon Trail Camp (early season, no water now)
CORRECTION: Cooper Canyon does have water as of 8/18/2012. I was surprised, but there is water.
San Bernardinos
-Lower Fish Creek (outside the wilderness)
-Fish Creek Meadows (inside the wilderness)

I'm sure there are others, but that's what I came up with off the top of my head. If you're willing to walk a little farther, there are some nice ones out there.

HJ
Last edited by Hikin_Jim on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby bluerail » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:11 am

Very cool Jim and Joyce !! Sounds and looks like a wonderful time...I too recently carried 60 pounds....it's tough work.

Hey Jim, how is she with a map and compass so far ?
User avatar
bluerail
 
Posts: 2108
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:30 am
Location: La Quinta

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:57 pm

bluerail wrote:Hey Jim, how is she with a map and compass so far ?
Dang it, Steve, she's slacking. I gave her a simple modified section problem, and she totally screwed up her back azimuth calculation. Of course she can only count to five, so maybe my expectations are a wee tad too high. :wink: :lol:

bluerail wrote:Very cool Jim and Joyce !! Sounds and looks like a wonderful time...I too recently carried 60 pounds....it's tough work.
We did a 7 or so mile loop this past weekend with a side trip to Mt. Akawie. Daddy was freaking pooped afterwards. I had to laugh though -- Joycie fell asleep while I was descending from Mt. Akawie. It's pretty cute when she starts nodding off in her little kiddie carrier.

Oh, fun fact: Diapers are absorbent. What do they absorb? Water. What's the heaviest thing in my pack on the way out? Used diapers (double zip locked, thank you very much). Whitney wag bags ain't got nothin' on me and Joycie! :lol:

I can't complain too much about the weight though when I have such a little cutester to share the trail with. Here's Joyce in our tent last Saturday. We're playing our favorite game, "no jumping on daddy." She has just dive bombed me and is lying in a heap half on top of me -- and I love every minute of it.

Image

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests