Page 1 of 1
PCT Hiker "AsABat" Passed Away

Posted:
Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:15 am
by Hikin_Jim
Some of you may have known "AsABat" (Bill Jeffery) who was a PCT hiker and trail angel. He used to maintain the
Southern California PCT water reports website
Apparently
he passed away over the weekend while out on the PCT in Oregon. He was a real help to those hiking the PCT in Southern California with his dedication to water reports. He will be missed.
HJ

Posted:
Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:32 pm
by Andy
Thanks for posting this Jim. I never met AsABat, but communicated with him several times regarding water updates on the PCT. He will be missed and my thoughts are with his wife and family.

Posted:
Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:01 pm
by zippetydude
Andy wrote:Thanks for posting this Jim. I never met AsABat, but communicated with him several times regarding water updates on the PCT. He will be missed and my thoughts are with his wife and family.
Yes, me too. He posted regularly on this board and was a welcome member of the community.
z

Posted:
Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:05 pm
by Florian
Ah, this is sad. But he was out doing what he loved.
-Florian

Posted:
Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:18 pm
by Perry
At first I was sad to see the subject title, but when I noticed that he passed away on the PCT I felt better because, as we all know, he really loved the PCT. Probably a lot of us on this board would like to pass away in the wilderness on our favorite mountain or favorite trail.

Posted:
Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:45 am
by Sally
This is such very sad news, and at a fairly young age. My condolances to his family and friends.

Posted:
Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:27 pm
by arocknoid
Sooo sad. Condolences to family, friends and all his loved ones.
Let each of us be mindful to reach out to our own loved ones.
kind regards,
arocknoid

Posted:
Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:57 am
by bluerail
Very sorry to see this, I know he will be greatly missed. My best to the family and his friends.

Posted:
Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:16 pm
by lilbitmo
For those wondering how Bill arrived at his trail name you can read it below or google AsAbat (As in Blind As a Bat)
What's an AsABat?
It's common on the long trails to take, or be given, a trail name. There are many people I consider friends who I know only by their trail names. Because they are easy to remember, it helps the trail grapevine communicate information up and down the trail.
Contrary to the belief of a few hiking partners, my trail name does not refer to hiking "as a bat out of Hades." Rather, it refers to "blind as a bat." In 1996 and 1997 I had new corneas installed. Prior to the transplants I spent a short time legally blind because of keratoconus. Hence, I was blind as a bat. When others ask how I got my name, I relate this information and remind them to fill out their organ donor cards.
Not drawing any comparisons to myself, I can relate to John Muir who, before his conservationist career, was quite the inventor. He punctured an eye in an industrial accident and lay in darkness for two months until his vision slowly returned. That was a turning point in his life, and he later wrote,
"Now had I arisen from the grave!
God has to nearly kill us sometimes, to teach us lessons,"
and later,
"I bade adieu to all my mechanical inventions,
determined to devote the rest of my life to the study of the inventions of God."
BTW, yes, I spell it as one word. I started out writing it "Asabat" but confused too many people, so adopted the funky capitalization "AsABat."
The Whitney Portal Message Board group is planning a memorial in his memory you can find details
HERE

Posted:
Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:45 pm
by Ellen
I regret that I never met this remarkable gentleman

Keeping his loved ones in my thoughts and prayers.
From the heart,
Ellen