Page 1 of 2

Chased off Whitney Summit by Lightning

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:09 pm
by Sally
The following is my trip report of my hike up Mt. Whitney on Wednesday, August 8 with my daughters Celeste and Alison, and Celeste’s boyfriend, James.

On Tuesday AM Alison and I arrived in Lone Pine, picked up our permit and wag bags, and drove to Whitney Portal in hopes of getting a campsite at the Whitney Portal Campground. We scored a great site and pitched our tents. Soon after, a person came with a flyer about a hiker that had been missing since Sunday. We could hear helicopter activity in the area. Alison went for a little hike while I kicked back and waited for Celeste and James. After they showed up we all went for a hike to see the nice waterfall that Alison had spotted. On the way back we gathered some kindling and bought a bundle of firewood from the campground host. The helicopters left and we wondered about the missing hiker. (After I got home I learned that he had been found alive but with a serious head injury.)

We built a fire and roasted sausages over it and cooked up some chili. It was Celeste’s birthday and we had a cake, but we were unable to light the 35 candles because of the breeze. James got out his guitar and we attempted to have a sing-a-long. After discussing when we should wake up, we retired to our tents.

Ali and I got up at 3:00 AM and Celeste and James got up at 4:00. There were a few sprinkles and this made me a little concerned as there was a 20% chance of thunderstorms at the summit after 11:00 AM. By the time we had had breakfast, packed up, found a parking place at the trailhead and stashed our leftover food in the bear boxes, it was already 5:00, and I had wanted to be on the trail by 4:00. Ali and I started up the trail and were soon treated to a brilliant sunrise and a deer sighting. About 45 minutes later Celeste and James caught up with us.

I was pleased that my companions were so thrilled by the beauty of the trail. This was to be my 3rd time on Whitney, but a 1st for the “kids,” and I wanted their experience to be a good one. We saw few other hikers, but there was a young couple that leap-frogged the hike with us the entire day. When we got to Trail Camp I ran into some friends who had summitted the day before and were run off the peak by lightning. After our chat we began the trek up the 99 (?) switchbacks. My two previous trips up Whitney were via the back side (Past Guitar Lake) and down the main trail. I had somehow convinced myself that the switchbacks would be the hardest part, and I was pleasantly surprised to find myself snaking my way up in relative comfort. I also had the mistaken notion that the trail from Trail Crest would be easier than the switchbacks, and boy, was I in for a surprise.

I really started lagging, and Alison was having a severe pain in one of her hips. Celeste and James were a bit ahead of us. It seemed as though we were not making any progress, the summit looming ahead of us and not seeming to get any closer. As we trudged on, the views got better and better, but the clouds got bigger and blacker. As we neared the summit a man greeted us with a cheerful “Good job, you’re only 20 minutes from the top!” Well, I didn’t think I had 20 minutes left in me, and that cloud… Right after that another guy informed us that we were only 10 minutes from the top, now THAT’S more like it!

As Ali and I neared the summit plaque, Celeste was waiting with her camera to snap our picture. I dropped my pack and Alison took off her boots. A fellow had schlepped his clarinet all the way up and was playing a melody. It began hailing. As I was reaching into my pack for my lunch – BAM! – the sky lit up with lightning and there was a clap of thunder. “Ali put your boots on! We’re getting off this mountain!” I yelled. After a very brief moment of deciding whether to huddle in the hut or high-tail it out of there, we began scurrying down the trail. I never even got a chance to sit down, eat lunch, feed Ellen’s marmot, sign the book, take a pic, or rest. The hail kept coming down and blanketed the ground. The lightning continued until we were back at Trail Camp, but fortunately there weren’t any more really close strikes. We stopped for a bite to eat at Trail Camp.

The rest of the hike down was fairly uneventful. We kept a quick pace so we could make it back before dark. At 8:00 PM we reached the trailhead and were congratulated by a group of guys. Alison offered a ride to a Dutch couple who needed a hitch to their hotel in Lone Pine. They had just completed the High Sierra Trail. Then we met Celeste and James at the Bonanza for Mexican dinner.

Believe it or not, we drove home afterwards as we all had to be back at work on Thursday. Needless to say, I wasn’t very useful at work!

All in all, it was an excellent adventure. I’m so proud of the “kids.” They did a great job and were a joy to hike with.

Thank you, Ellen, for the permit! It was a very special day!

fun Stuff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:08 pm
by halhiker
Had that happen to me many years ago. I look at my buddy and his hair was standing straight up on his head. I said, "Let's get out of here!". Just then a HUGE flash of lightning with immediate thunderclap shot across the sky and we were gone. We went down the mountaineers route and once it we were off the top it was totally clear.

The last time up Whitney I got snowed on in September. The bigger mountains are always fun!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:55 pm
by Lcpl Hughes
Great job Sally :D

That is the same thing I did last year after hiking Whitney..I made that drive home..Cant wait to do it again this September.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:36 am
by Lermo
Sally,

Glad to hear the lightning missed you! Iit sounds like a great adventure! The week I went, it was like that every day except for the day I summited. I guess we just got lucky :D .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:36 am
by Ellen
Howdy Sister Sally :)

Wonderful trip report 8) I agree that the hike up to the summit from Trail Crest seems to take forever :? Perry A's version of Dante's Inferno is to hike from Trail Crest to the summit over and over...

So sorry you didn't get a chance to savor the summit but lightning, holy cow :shock:

Looking forward to our Sierra adventure next week :D

Miles of smiles and hugs,
Ellen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:49 am
by Stockwell
Hey Sally,

Congrats on the summit! At least the weather didn't come in so hard until just after you were up. Although good call on "Getting the Hell of this mountain ...", lunch can wait for lightning :shock:

See you on a trail sometime!

Stockwell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:49 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Cool write up, Sally. I always enjoy your writes. Glad you got the heck off that summit. :shock:

HJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:37 pm
by Sally
:arrow: https://picasaweb.google.com/1009477359 ... directlink

My pictures come first followed by Celeste's. Editing was difficult because everytime we turned a corner there was another great shot!

Chases off Whitney summit by lightning

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:57 am
by Cy Kaicener
Great trip report and pictures Sally and congratulations. I saw it on Facebook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:01 am
by zippetydude
Lcpl Hughes wrote:Great job Sally :D

That is the same thing I did last year after hiking Whitney..I made that drive home..Cant wait to do it again this September.


Maybe we'll see each other in line again!


Sally: Crazy adventure. I know what you mean - it's very tough to decide when to turn around, and by the time the clouds actually start the show, it's often already a really risky situation. Glad you and yours are fine and that it was such an adventure!

z