Page 1 of 1

Baby Kangaroo Rat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:22 pm
by zippetydude
Okay, so last night I was doing a mountain bike ride and I saw this tiny little fellow on the road. I've never seen a creature that was so small and yet had feet so very big. I didn't get a pic, but I found a link:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CFoQ9QEwAQ

That's a lot of link for a little rat. Anyway, anyone else here ever seen one of these little guys? You just had to laugh when you looked at him. He must be proud of those feet.

z

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:36 pm
by Florian
I've seen them in the desert, but didn't know you had them around where you live.

-Florian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:25 pm
by arocknoid
Heh, sure thing zip. Comical cute little fellows, they look like their own caricature of a cartoon character. Glad you got to encounter one.

They are plentiful in the local deserts, and I've seen many with nocturnal explorations, especially looking with UV for scorpions. They also tend not to spook under the gentle light of a low output LED (like 10-20 lumens), allowing longer observations if you're quiet. Pardon my phrase, but they'll zip-zip-boing-boing pause, pause. Even their 'baby steps' are comical.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:42 pm
by Ellen
Howdy Z :)

Awww...cute little critter, thanks for posting.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen