Baby Kangaroo Rat

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Baby Kangaroo Rat

Postby zippetydude » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:22 pm

Okay, so last night I was doing a mountain bike ride and I saw this tiny little fellow on the road. I've never seen a creature that was so small and yet had feet so very big. I didn't get a pic, but I found a link:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CFoQ9QEwAQ

That's a lot of link for a little rat. Anyway, anyone else here ever seen one of these little guys? You just had to laugh when you looked at him. He must be proud of those feet.

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Postby Florian » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:36 pm

I've seen them in the desert, but didn't know you had them around where you live.

-Florian
User avatar
Florian
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:49 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Postby arocknoid » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Heh, sure thing zip. Comical cute little fellows, they look like their own caricature of a cartoon character. Glad you got to encounter one.

They are plentiful in the local deserts, and I've seen many with nocturnal explorations, especially looking with UV for scorpions. They also tend not to spook under the gentle light of a low output LED (like 10-20 lumens), allowing longer observations if you're quiet. Pardon my phrase, but they'll zip-zip-boing-boing pause, pause. Even their 'baby steps' are comical.
User avatar
arocknoid
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm

Postby Ellen » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:42 pm

Howdy Z :)

Awww...cute little critter, thanks for posting.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests