Yosemite car camping

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Yosemite car camping

Postby TerraElise » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:47 am

Hello all! I am having issues filling my group camping spot for car camping in Yosemite. It's shocking and I would have planned a backpacking trip if I thought no one would go. I'd like to open up the invite to all of you - and the details for hikes below will probably change because at this point it appears that only actual hikers are going so we don't need tiny hikes (I'll probably be the least fit since i've been healing a twisted foot/ankle - aside from my totally out-of-shape boyfriend, he can just stay at camp).

The site wasn't horribly expensive ($160 total), but I also do not want any flakes so it's $20 per tent. If I can fill the spaces, I'll refund $10 or help pay for overflow parking/etc. etc.

In addition to my $20 per tent cost, to cover reservation costs, there is a car fee: The entrance fee is $20 per car, is valid for seven days, and includes all occupants of the car.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bears.htm
"Food" includes any item with a scent, regardless of packaging.
Store your food in the food locker, and latch it!
Bears can easily break into tent-cabins and tents and cars for food.
Never keep food, drinks, toiletries, or trash in your tent or tent-cabin or car!

encounter a bear on trail: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/scarebears.htm

No children under 10 please, and no dogs, and respect sleeping hours and rules about keeping food put away for bears, etc.

First come, first serve: We also have a 5 car limit so we need to carpool - another reason why family or friend groups would work best - but I am sure you arrange to park elsewhere and can drop off your stuff at camp and we'll drive with you to the parking spot and carpool you back.

Please contact me: terraelise@hotmail.com

Bring to share: Wood. (-; I'll double check on campfires being allowed, but I doubt there will be an issue.

hikes planned (if we end up with only experienced hikers, this list will change to a more difficult hiking plan for Mon & Tues - more like 6-12 miles each day instead of such small hikes to start):

___
Sunday, August 26:
- Arrive by 2pm ish Sunday and set up camp, get-to-know campfire, carpool to other parking if needed
> Car camp at Tuolumne Meadows (8600 ft)
___
- Monday, Aug. 27
#1: 9am: Soda Springs
- Easy 1 hour / 1.5 mile R/T hike from just across the road from campground
- Carbonated water bubbles up through the ground, view exhibits
- continue on, if wanted, across bridge to the T.Meadows Visitor's Center and/or another couple miles in-trail on the way to Glen Aulin to a great spot to hang under trees and near a wide river with mountain views
#2: 3pm: Dog Lake
- fair 2 hour 3 mi r/t
- we can also break off here and there for some views / extended hiking
___
- Tuesday, Aug. 28 10am: Elizabeth Lake
- 5 hours incl. breaks, 5 mi. R/T, moderate pleasant hike
- Starts Above the Tuolumne Meadows Group Campground, the trail climbs steadily to the glacier-carved lake at the base of Unicorn Peak
- bring lunch and eat at the lake
___
- Wednesday, Aug. 29, 7am: Summit Vogelsang
- round trip 14 miles, up 1700 feet in about 6 hours (stops and vista breaks), 2 hours eating and scouting around on top, then down again in about 4, return before dark 12hrs total, 7pm return time ETA
- Headlamps required!!
- Located along Fletcher Creek, just beyond Fletcher Lake, Vogelsang is often named as one of the favorite spots in Yosemite by many a veteran visitor. This is truly an alpine setting with peaks and vistas, lakes, meadows and passes within close proximity and sits at the highest elevation of all the camps.
- Vogelsang means “birdsong,” a gentle name for an imposing peak that is among Yosemite’s tallest and most beautiful mountains.
___
- Thursday, Aug. 30, 10am: leave campsite
- Arrive by 1pm at Yosemite valley & park
- check out the valley visitor's center, walk to yosemite falls, store, etc.
- exit park through west entrance
___
Add'l info:
- Tuolumne Meadows Campground is Located on the Tioga Road (CA-120) at Tuolumne Meadows,
about 1.5 hours northeast of Yosemite Valley, at 8,600 ft (2,600 m).
- Campsite contains a fire ring, picnic table, and 5 food storage lockers [33"(D)x45"(W)x18"(H)],
and is near a bathroom with potable water and flushing toilets.
- Dump station: Nearby, just west of the campground. (Camp wastewater and trash must be disposed of in designated utility drains.)
- Groceries (limited): Nearby, at the Tuolumne Meadows Store.
- Showers: Nearby, at the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge during very limited hours.
TerraElise

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics