Page 1 of 1

San Gorgonio 9 peak challenge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:25 am
by Ellen
Howdy All :)

Sally and I are going to attempt the San Gorgonio 9 peak challenge tomorrow (Wednesday July 18). I'll use SPOT tracking in case anyone wants to follow our progress.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... M9qss1pPNN

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

Re: San Gorgonio 9 peak challenge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:29 am
by Hikin_Jim
Ellen wrote:Howdy All :)

Sally and I are going to attempt the San Gorgonio 9 peak challenge tomorrow ( Wednesday July 18 ). I'll use SPOT tracking in case anyone wants to follow our progress.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... M9qss1pPNN

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Cool. Gonna throw in mini-Jepson too? I know you miss that one. ;)

Now, no fair using the San Bernardino or Vivian Creek Trail heads of course. Real hikers do it thusly and like so. Start and end at the South Fork trailhead. No car shuttle or a very short one from the Forsee Creek trailhead to the South Fork trailhead. Tough but doable. :twisted:

HJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:04 pm
by Sally
Hi y'all,

Well, we did it! We got on the trail at 2:30 this morning and finished up at 4:45 this afternoon. The TR will have to wait until tomorrow as we are very wiped out!

Hi HJ - funny, I FEEL like a REAL hiker, although we cheated and started at the Vivian Creek Trailhead and ended at tha San Bernardino Peak Trailhead.

That's no cheat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:37 pm
by arocknoid
Well done, Sally and Ellen!

Dang, that was an early start. What a beautiful sky, and unseasonably cool temps. Looking forward to the photos.

Sometimes hiking with a goal like that can give an urgency that interferes with enjoying the experience.
And a pace which can be grueling enough to interfere with enjoying the experience. 8-p

Yay for you both.
Plus, you've had enough recent leisurely hiking thereabouts that you can zip along on a speedy peak bagging trek. Is this the time that Ellen could quote Jesse V, "I ain't got time to bleed!"

cheers,
arocknoid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:07 am
by Wild
Good job ladies!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:29 am
by Hikin_Jim
Sally wrote:Hi y'all,

Well, we did it! We got on the trail at 2:30 this morning and finished up at 4:45 this afternoon. The TR will have to wait until tomorrow as we are very wiped out!

Hi HJ - funny, I FEEL like a REAL hiker, although we cheated and started at the Vivian Creek Trailhead and ended at tha San Bernardino Peak Trailhead.
Good on ya!

Just joshing you a bit about the loop I mapped out (of course!). I did a variant of that loop, but I did it as a 2 1/2 day backpack. :lol: You could do it in one day, but that would be a pretty tough hike.

How come you started at Viv and ended at SB? Isn't it easier to do it the other way around both in terms of the hike and in terms of emplacing the car shuttle? Just curious. (of course coming down Viv is no fun on the knees).

HJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:37 am
by Ellen
Howdy All :)

Sally will write the TR since this is her first 9 Peak Challenge 8)

We started really early to give ourselves ample time to complete the 9 peaks, have dinner at the Oaks and drive home in the daylight.

It was a gorgeous day -- wonderful views from the summits and along the San Gorgonio backbone.

Howdy HJ :)

Regarding going "up" the San Gorgonio backbone -- pyschologically, I've always thought I was going "down hill" when we bag San Gorgonio first :wink: :lol:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:52 am
by Hikin_Jim
Ellen wrote:pyschologically, I've always thought I was going "down hill" when we bag San Gorgonio first :wink: :lol:
Well, there you go. Only eight "minor" :shock: peaks to go after that. :lol:

HJ