Page 1 of 1

San Gorgonio via Vivian and XC ridge route

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:18 am
by Ellen
Howdy All :)

I went up Vivian last Sunday with Perry A, Cindy D and John H. This was Perry's first time on Vivian. Once we crossed the creek, we went XC up the ridge that goes to Dobbs peak. Lilbitmo! (Patrick Moran) introduced my pain sista Tina and I to this route in 2010. Last summer, I went up several times with Sister Sally and Calicokat Jim. I love this route and call it "Skyline in the pine trees." 8)

Going up to gain the ridge requires some route finding around brush and deadfall but we suceeded. Thanks to the exposure, we were in shade almost the entire time. Once we popped out on the Dobbs plateau, we were in bright sunlight. I switched from pants to shorts and donned suncreen. Perry, Cindy and I headed up the ridge to join the San Gorgonio backbone and bag Jepson -- John went directly to San Gorgonio. We huffed and puffed our way uphill and gained the peak -- wait a minute -- this wasn't Jepson but Jepson Jr. :roll: :oops:

Gotta love my friends -- they considerecd the additional peak good training. We made our way over to Jepson, then continued across the ridge until we joined the trail. No matter what route I take to reach the Vivian/Sky High Trail junction sign, I'm always knackered going from there to the summit. John woo hooed at us as we made the final scramble up. He asked if I was giving Perry and Cindy the grand tour. I answered with a straight face that I'd planned on doing that route :wink:

Shortly thereafter Janine and Derrick summited, then two good friends that I run into frequently on Skyline 8) I asked them if they were on the right mountain :lol: They'd come up Vivian. As all good things must come to an end, we started the descent. By the time I reached Halfway camp, I could tell that my right toenail was toast. It was a relief to drop down the final nosebleed to Mill Creek. As we walked back to the trailhead, I chatted with one of the San Gorgonio Rangers about the wonderful improvements on Alger Creek and other trails. We refueled at the Chipotle in Redlands before heading home.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

Re: San Gorgonio via Vivian and XC ridge route

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:18 am
by HH8
Ellen wrote:Lilbitmo! (Patrick Moran) introduced my pain sista Tina and I to this route in 2010.


Anybody got a GPS track of it?

Re: San Gorgonio via Vivian and XC ridge route

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:27 pm
by Hikin_Jim
HH8 wrote:Anybody got a GPS track of it?
GPS, no, but how about a good old fashioned topo map plot?

HJ

Re: San Gorgonio via Vivian and XC ridge route

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:02 am
by HH8
Hikin_Jim wrote:a good old fashioned topo map plot


Hey that works great!
I was able to get an idea of mileage and elevation gain from it
Image
Vivian Creek to Hobbs Peak ridge run

Thanks again

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:37 am
by Hikin_Jim
Cool. 8)

HJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:08 am
by zippetydude
Hi Ellen. I went up Sunday - too bad I didn't know you were going, I would have asked to come along. I've never done that route, but I've speculated about it. Would you say it's about the same as the trail, harder or easier? With the xc parts that I do instead of the trail, the whole thing comes to almost exactly 7 miles from start to finish. How does that route compare?

I ran into Bob Wheeler just shy of the peak, and he told me he'd seen you up there. I hardly ever go on Sundays, so too bad we missed the opportunity. If you do that route again before the fall comes, post and I'll see if I can go with you.

I agree with you about that last part coming down, it's so nice to have it over with. And it's so steep and rocky that you have to watch every step. Ugh.

z

Re: San Gorgonio via Vivian and XC ridge route

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:32 pm
by Zé
HH8 wrote:
Ellen wrote:Lilbitmo! (Patrick Moran) introduced my pain sista Tina and I to this route in 2010.


Anybody got a GPS track of it?


http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=240769

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:42 pm
by Ellen
Howdy Z :)

Went back up again with Sally and Perry last Wednesday -- should have looked at the board sooner.

I love this route. It's fairly straight-forward -- has to be if I can find it :lol:
As the maps show, you cross Vivian creek. Then, immediately head to the left and look for a path traversing up to the left. You can see a definate use trail and cairns. When I don't nail it quite right at the bottom, my hapless hiking partners and I wind up crawling under some trees and doing a bit of bushwhacking.

Once you attain the backbone of the ridge, there's a very clear use trail all the way up to the Dobbs peaks. When you encounter rocky areas and brush, you may see paths going to the left and right. Sally wore shorts. I wore pants but usually wear shorts.

From the Dobbs "plateau," head up and stay to the right. You will eventually intersect the San Gorgonio backbone and Sky High trail.

I'll definately let you know when we go back up.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen