Page 1 of 1

Bear Scents

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:53 pm
by HH8
I'll be in bear territory later this year.
Now we all know one must NEVER have food in a tent that will later be in a bear zone, and bear cans should carry food, garbage and "any other smellies"
So here's my question. What counts as enticingly smelly to a bear?
If I sleep in a dusty layer of sunscreen, am I bait?
What about the scent of ... adult fun... in the sleeping bag?
Do I really need a separate change of clothes for cooking/eating?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:58 am
by Ellen
Howdy HHB :)

As I hiked the John Muir trail solo, I can't speak to one of your questions :wink: However, I was constantly covered in sunscreen (Vanacream Sport) and blood from mosquito bites and was not hassled by any bears for 19 days on the JMT.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:37 am
by Hikin_Jim
Ellen wrote:I was constantly covered ... in blood ... for 19 days on the JMT.
Oh, it's, Ellen!

I just now recognized you. :wink: :lol:

HJ

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:52 pm
by HH8
Ellen wrote: the John Muir trail


So that was black bear, not Grizzly