Story of missing hiker in Joshua Tree NP

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Re: Story of missing hiker in Joshua Tree NP

Postby OtherHand » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:40 pm

"The Devil's Highway" is an exceptionally good read to really understand what happens to someone dying from dehydration and their thought processes. It's extremely detailed and pretty graphic. I'd rate dehydration as one of the nastier ways to die.
OtherHand

Postby jdclifford » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:10 pm

I'm definitely enjoying it so far. I'm even thinking about going to check out that area of Arizona sometime soon. If anybody has any other suggestions on books where you can learn about lost person behavior (land-based), I'm all ears. I do have Koester's Lost Person Behavior and Syrotuck's Analysis of Lost Person Behavior.
jdclifford

Postby OtherHand » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:54 pm

Consider "Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why" by Laurence Gonzales. Parts are a little tedious, but the author gives many examples of how people get lost and their thinking as they do so. For example, how people make the transition from knowing where they are (and how to backtrack to safety) and pushing forward into the unknown and not keeping track of how to get back to the spot where they transitioned. Also, how dire situations aren't usually the result of one big mistake, but rather a cascade of smaller, more innocuous bad decisions. The book has made me more aware of when I do something dumb, and alarm bells go off when I've made a couple bad decisions in a row. At that point I stand down and think about things carefully.
OtherHand

Postby jdclifford » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:59 pm

Thank you, Tom! I just put in an order for that one...excited to read it.
jdclifford

Postby bretpct » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:54 am

Just found Deep Survival is included on Audible for us audiobook folks.
bretpct

Postby bretpct » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:49 pm

I was able to get a quick hike in this week. It was a bit spontaneous so it was just a short hike up a drainage via SWC that I do not see any recorded tracks for.

Here's the hike in light blue.

Once I got to the top of this hill, I was surprised how separate it seemed from the surrounding hills, like it's own island. I wouldn't have thought that base on the topo alone. Seems very likely Bill would have gone around this area.

I didn't take any pictures during the hike, but after the hike I went up to Eureka Peak to catch the end of the sunset, and saw this awesome blood-red line on the horizon. Never seen that color so vibrant before.

Tracks are stored here: https://caltopo.com/m/LL01
Mylar balloons collected: 0(!)
bretpct

Postby mattytreks » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:05 am

After nearly 12 years, it looks like he may have been found. My goodness…

Human remains found at Joshua Tree reportedly belong to man missing since 2010
https://www.sfgate.com/california-parks ... -Spotlight
Matty
mattytreks@gmail.com
Click here to see my hikes, along with trail details
mattytreks

Postby Rumpled » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:46 pm

Wow, that is amazing.
Not that it really matters as a poor guy has died, but I am curious to how close any of all of these searchers got to his ultimate resting spot.
I don't know these areas at all, but have been reading this thread for a few years.
Rumpled

Previous

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics