Story of missing hiker in Joshua Tree NP

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby thatoneguy » Tue May 15, 2012 10:15 am

Hikin_Jim wrote:They all probably think Otherhand is crazy for still trying to go after Bill. :lol: :wink:

Of course the DV Germans' and Norman Cox's family and friends might disagree.

HJ

I applaud Otherhand with his venture. I was on the search all but 1 day and put in over 50 hiking miles in the 100+ heat. I wouldn't mind helping out when the temps come down.
thatoneguy

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue May 15, 2012 2:03 pm

thatoneguy wrote:My guess is he killed him self in a open mine shaft
Suicide or accidental?

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue May 15, 2012 2:05 pm

OtherHand wrote:...maybe a few more items. A start time later than 10:30 AM, he wanted to be out of the park by around 5 PM, possible tracks heading west on the closed Juniper Flats Road, a possible bandanna, and we now know a whole lot of areas Bill isn't in.
Do we know anything more about the bandana? Was it tied to a bush? Dropped on the ground?

In other words does it look like he was marking something or did he just drop it by accident?

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby OtherHand » Tue May 15, 2012 4:41 pm

Hikin_Jim wrote:Do we know anything more about the bandana? Was it tied to a bush? Dropped on the ground?

In other words does it look like he was marking something or did he just drop it by accident?

The extent of the info I have is only what was in the narrative and radio log. No details or, for that matter, even if the bandanna was Bill's.
OtherHand

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue May 15, 2012 8:13 pm

OK, thanks. Thought I'd at least ask.

Well, I'm headed for J Tree on Thursday afternoon. I was thinking I'd take a little walk from the Juniper Flats TH over to Juniper flats for the night. Friday morning, I'll ascend Quail Mtn and then follow the ridges down to Smith Water. Smith Water is the one thing that's seemed to make some sense to me. After checking out Smith Water, I'll take the CR&H trail back to the TH.

Now of course I with my amazing non-skills will no doubt see things that the SAR professionals with decades of experience missed. :roll: Well, maybe not, but at least it will be a nice walk. Looks like there will be a 10F drop in temperature on Friday, so maybe the suffering factor won't be too bad.

Don't have a GPS, so there won't be a track. I plan to check out the tip of the ridge where it juts into Smith Water looking for places where someone trying to descend to the water might have gotten held up or might have deliberately holed up. Wish me luck.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby OtherHand » Tue May 15, 2012 8:40 pm

That's a pretty substantial hike and I salute you. Or feel sorry, one or the other. Bring lots of water. I was out poking around Covington Flats yesterday and it was hot. Also, I don't know if you were thinking of getting water at Smith Water, but if you were be advised the water is roughly in the middle of the canyon, just westerly of the odor location. It would be a hard detour and uphill in sand on the way out. And it's not great water, but it IS water.

It's a long way along the ridge to Smith Water, but you can bail out anytime you want to the west to the trail below.

Fresh eyes on a scene are always good. I'll be interested to hear your impressions.
OtherHand

Postby thatoneguy » Tue May 15, 2012 10:04 pm

Hikin_Jim wrote:OK, thanks. Thought I'd at least ask.

Well, I'm headed for J Tree on Thursday afternoon. I was thinking I'd take a little walk from the Juniper Flats TH over to Juniper flats for the night. Friday morning, I'll ascend Quail Mtn and then follow the ridges down to Smith Water. Smith Water is the one thing that's seemed to make some sense to me. After checking out Smith Water, I'll take the CR&H trail back to the TH.

Now of course I with my amazing non-skills will no doubt see things that the SAR professionals with decades of experience missed. :roll: Well, maybe not, but at least it will be a nice walk. Looks like there will be a 10F drop in temperature on Friday, so maybe the suffering factor won't be too bad.

Don't have a GPS, so there won't be a track. I plan to check out the tip of the ridge where it juts into Smith Water looking for places where someone trying to descend to the water might have gotten held up or might have deliberately holed up. Wish me luck.

HJ

Sounds like at the least 16mile 4k climb?

If some one did get held up going from Quail to SWC they would end up looking down a drop off at 110566703E 3765154N or 110567649E 3765620N on Nad27.
thatoneguy

Postby OtherHand » Tue May 15, 2012 10:26 pm

thatoneguy wrote:If some one did get held up going from Quail to SWC they would end up looking down a drop off at 110566703E 3765154N or 110567649E 3765620N on Nad27.

I and my assorted bunch of freelancers have been through both those points you list. Fun terrain, in an "oh crap!" sort of way. But doable.

From Quail Mountain and most of the Quail ridge, the obvious crossing to Smith Water is a very pronounced saddle at 34.015724 N, 116.268590 E, then a descent from the saddle via a canyon tending toward the NW. The topography really channels you into this canyon. Sierra Madre cleared the lower 2/3s and we did the upper portions of this canyon.
OtherHand

Postby drndr » Wed May 16, 2012 6:53 am

HJ, I knew that would be digging at you and you'd want to get out there. I feel the same way after reading all the info on Bill and the other DV adventures. I'm actually going out there myself on sunday for completely different circumstances (brother's memorial) and was thinking of doing a short trip to some of Hal's points. Though I'll mail you a dollar if you investigate the north westerly side of SWC also :lol:

Is the dirt road out to Covington Backcountry board doable for any car? Never been there.
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Postby OtherHand » Wed May 16, 2012 7:28 am

drndr wrote:Is the dirt road out to Covington Backcountry board doable for any car? Never been there.

The first few miles of La Contenta through the residential area are poor but driveable in a passenger vehicle. Once you hit the park boundary the road becomes great. Although we're really past much of the wildflower season, the Covington Flats area is a good place to see them as it seldom gets visited by the public and there aren't the usual hordes of people.
OtherHand

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics