Half Dome dayhike

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Half Dome dayhike

Postby whitneyfan » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:01 am

Hi folks. I made my first trip to the top of Half Dome this week, and thought I'd share some points about the experience, and some photos.

Photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9479793@N0 ... 0998/show/

click on the "i" symbol to read the captions.

Though it is not a high altitude destination, I put Half Dome on my list of "must do" day hikes simply for its views and unusual geography. There is plenty to see along the trail - 2 waterfalls, streams, lakes, and forest.

Its about 16.5 - 17 miles round trip from the trailhead. There is plenty of steep stairstepping, and, of course, the final cable ascent to the top.
I took the Mist Trail in order to see Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls from below.
The Mist Trail steps are very well constructed and well designed.
There wasn't much "mist" because either the air was calm or that the water volume was low. Anyway, the steps were not wet or slippery as often described.

I started out at 6 am and was immediately hindered by an upset stomach. I had a moderate breakfast with yogurt, banana, OJ, and a prepackaged muffin. Then I drank a Gatorade on the way to the trailhead to boost my electrolytes. It was probably the Gatorade that made me sick, but possibly the muffin. Anyway, I felt like puking for the first mile up to the Mist Trail. That slowed me down for awhile.

There wasn't much light for taking pictures that early in the morning, but I still got a few decent shots. The sunlight doesn't hit the gorge until 8:00 - 8:30 am.

At the top of Vernal Falls is a nice clear-water lake called The Emerald Pool. Swimming is forbidden, but it is tempting. The Silver Apron upstream from the pool looks like a natural water slide into the lake, but probably dangerous.

More stair climbing to reach Nevada Falls and the hookup to the John Muir Trail at the top of the falls. There you will find a nice rest house with shade and restrooms.

From there the trail continues flat into Little Yosemite Valley along side the Merced river. Its a welcome reprieve from the 2 miles of steep stair-stepping. The trail is sandy for a stretch until you reach the forest, then it starts a gradual incline, with some switchbacks and occasional rock steps.

Somewhere near the beginning I was passed by a trail-runner, and halfway through the forest he passed me on the return trip. He warned me about a bear farther up the trail, but I never saw it.

After about 7 miles you break out of the forest and get your first glimpse of the expansive views around Yosemite. Half Dome can be seen to the west, but is still another mile or so.
At some point I could see the cables on the dome slope, and I was still far below the base of the dome.
At that point I'm thinking, "how do you get way up there?", and was then introduced to what someone called The Granite Staircase. Oh great, more stairs - only steeper.
Its a long windy slog up these stairs, but at least they are well constructed. The surrounding views distract you from the task of climbing.

Once past the stairs and over a smooth slope, you reach the top of the saddle that presents your final ordeal - the intimidating cable ascent to the top. The size and distance of the rock face is one thing, but from that vantage point the slope appears almost vertical. It really takes your breath away at first, and you question if it is really possible.

I was forewarned about the necessity to wear gloves when using the cables so I had a pair of my own. There were plenty of gloves left in a crevace by other hikers. I discovered quickly though that not any gloves will suffice.
I had a pair of thick cloth work gloves. The cables are quite smooth and polished from wear, and cloth gloves will slip. I had great difficulty maintaining a firm grip and my fingers and forearms tired quickly. At that point I began to worry if I would make it. It is surprisingly difficult to pull oneself up the slope. I had to stop at each cable post to rest.

My recommendation for gloves is to bring a pair of thin leather climbing gloves. Leather will grip the cable, and you need a thin layer to permit your fingers to circle the cable.

It took me about 20 minutes to climb the cables. The first 2/3 is the hardest, then the slope breaks to a more managable incline, and eventually you can climb without much assistance from the cables.
A lot of people were celebrating once they reached the top, even the strong athletic dudes. I was somewhat humbled by the fact that there were 55-60 yr. old ladies, teenagers, and demure young women sharing the accomplishment, so I had to contain my pride a bit.

The views at the top make it all worth the effort. I won't bother describing it, since words don't do it justice.
I spent an hour looking around and taking lunch.

The trip down the cables is easier, but no less hair-raising. I saw some people flirting with disaster by passing on the outside of the cables. One false move or a slip-up and you are a rolling-stone taking the short way off the mountain.

I decided to take the Mist Trail back down despite the punishment the steps inflict on my knees. I wanted to get some better photos in the good afternoon light. My right knee got stiff and sore and I was limping most of the way down. I arrived back at the trailhead at about 6:45 pm.
so the whole trip lasted 12 hours and 45 mins. That includes a lot of stopping to take photos, talk to hikers, getting sick, an hour lunch, and limping down 2 miles of stairs. So most people will do it quicker.

I was planning to hike the Upper Yosemite Falls trail the next day, but my knee would not allow it, so I cut my trip short 1 day. I accomplished what I came for so I am still happy with that.

I hope there is some helpful information here, and you enjoy the photos.
Good hiking.
whitneyfan

Postby magikwalt » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:18 am

Sorry to hear about your knee. Great trip report and nice pictures.
magikwalt

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics