Mt. Baldy & West Baldy Trip Report & Photos

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Mt. Baldy & West Baldy Trip Report & Photos

Postby calicokat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Took a trip up to Mt. Baldy then over to West Baldy. With the recent snow I couldn't resist. I took the Ski Hut trail up the western bowl through the trees to the top. There were a few people who took the bowl direct and made it.

There was evidence of some surface slides, but nothing major. I did not go up the bowl for three reasons: I am a slacker and didn't start till 0800, forgot my helmet (rime ice was coming down) and the the art of solo hiking, stay away from surface slides. Here are some photos.

http://calicokat.smugmug.com/Hiking/Sou ... 067_sXhMW2

Image

Image

Southern Sierra Snow
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
calicokat
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:45 am
Location: Ventura County

Postby Sally » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Great photos and TR, Jim! The wind can sure make interesting patterns in the snow - nice job of capturing that.

I wish I could have been in two places on Wednesday. San Jacinto was wonderful, but it looks like it was an exceptional day on Baldy!
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Re: Mt. Baldy & West Baldy Trip Report & Photos

Postby HH8 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:38 am

calicokat wrote:With the recent snow I couldn't resist.


Well, somehow I managed to resist (April 15 loometh) but your pix were balm for my headaches!
HH8
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am
Location: San Diego


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests