Baldy via Register Ridge

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Baldy via Register Ridge

Postby Ellen » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:53 am

Howdy All :)

Wanted to get a quick hike in to be home to visit with visiting family and rest up before the Oscar show. It was chilly and windy when I started -- I actually switched from shorts to pants in the car. There was no trace of snow on Register ridge. The wind was blowing pretty good, so I was very deliberate in crossing open areas on the ridge and saddles on the climb up. Donned a down jacket immediately at the summit. A couple were taking down their Mountain Hardware tent in the big rock shelter. Started heading down to join the Baldy Bowl trail. Thanks to Lilbitmo's recon, I had microspikes for icy sections on the ridge where the trail switchbacks down to the bowl. Shortly after passing the ski hut, I stripped down to shorts and t-shirt. Lost a microspike but found my hat that I'd lost on Register ridge. Nice day on Baldy, though it seemed like late spring instead of winter.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby desiree zolg » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:15 pm

Thanks for the report Ellen...we were planning to head up on Sunday as well but our toes were toast from the previous days' descent off Iron Mt. It was a hot day with a slight breeze on summit. Trail is in excellent condition.Hope to see you soon Ellen. Happy Trails, Desiree
desiree zolg
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:55 am


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests