Article on Mountain Lions in OC Register

Posted:
Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:11 pm
by halhiker
There's an article on mountain lions in the OC Register. It's pretty interesting and has a link to the UC Davis research site. There's a map on that site that shows the range of lion activity in So Cal and there's a LOT in the San Jacinto/Santa Rosa area. I wish there was a better map and more data available but it's pretty obvious that local lion activity is significant.
Here's the link.
http://sciencedude.ocregister.com/2012/ ... ts/167071/

Posted:
Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:32 pm
by cynthia23
thanks for this link. I wasn't quite sure where to find the link to the map of our area, though--I went to the wildlife health project but couldn't seem to find the map--where should I look? Thanks.

Posted:
Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:42 pm
by phydeux
Love the map showing the cougar's path - the dense part is right up against housing developments bordering the 241 tollway, while the high ridge line area (the Orange/Riverside county line) is almost devoid of track. Even the cougars are moving from teh country to suburbia - plenty of water and food down near town.


Posted:
Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:05 pm
by Andy
Hal, thanks for pointing out this article. I can't help but feel a little humbled knowing that these animals are still out there and holding their own...for now. I grew up in rural San Diego county and even noticed in those short years as a kid less and less wildlife. As a young boy I remember seeing bobcat, deer and a mt lion or two but as I grew older they all seemed to disappear. Good stuff!
Re: Article on Mountain Lions in OC Register

Posted:
Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:19 am
by HH8
halhiker wrote:There's an article on mountain lions in the OC Register.
I couldn't picture which mountaintop had a register that could hold that much info. "Obsessive-Compulsive" Peak? I was nearly finished reading your link when I noticed Orange County in the sidebar and realized it was a news article.