Page 1 of 1

GPS Recommendations?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:03 pm
by Reego
Hello,

I am a prideful map and compass user that is looking to get a GPS system for off-trail hiking. I always carry a map and compass, but want a GPS to clarify at the end of the day that I am following my route, and is capable of getting me back on the right track if needed. This means I will need to be able to put in waypoints before leaving for my trip, and possibly a map so that the GPS doesn't link up the waypoints of my route by the way the crow flies, but my actual contours.

If I am doing a 100 mile point-to-point off-trail route that doesn't cross any trails it would be nice to know once a day if I am staying on my route.

Any GPS recommendations for that use?

Other features that I want: solid antennae, compass, altimeter, waterproof, light-weight, and colored screen.

I'm not sure if battery life is a huge concern as I don't plan on running it all day everyday, just plan on turning it on when confused or for a few minutes at the end of the day.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:22 pm
by Sally
Hi Reego - I have a Garmin 550t, and I'm very happy with it. It's a few years old but does all the things you listed. I'm sure Garmin has improved on it in many ways by now.

I actually own three Garmin products: a handheld GPS for hiking, a GPS for my car, and a sports watch for running (and hiking.) So I'm a bit partial to Garmin!

I just got the watch for Christmas and am still learning about all the stuff you can do with.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:54 pm
by Reego
is that the oregon 550t?

sally - thanks for the response

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:56 pm
by Sally
Oops! Yes, it's an Oregon.

You're welcome, Reego

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:06 pm
by Norris
Hi Reego, I have owned a couple different Garmin units and I strongly recommend the Garmin 60st. Garmin has lots of different models but the 60 series is the one most suited to climbing / hiking. It is a fairly new model, the successor to the 60Csx. It is more rugged than the Oregon series as I understand it. Previously I used a 60Cs, but the 60st has a much better antenna, tracks the satellites without issue even in forest. I left it on once in my pack in the back of my SUV and drove all the way home and had a track that included my drive back to San Diego!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:16 am
by KathyW
I've always used Garmin Etrex GPS's. The one I've had for the last few years is a Etrex Vista HCX. I might replace it with the new Etrex 20 or 30 this year because that model has a larger screen and doesn't have a touchscreen (I don't want one with a touchscreen - buttons are better for me).

Keep in mind that the 24K maps often cost extra. I still need my paper maps even with the 24K map loaded on the GPS.

I've heard good thinks about the Garmin 60st and its precursors too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:04 pm
by Zé
60CSx