Training for a 13er

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:23 pm

I was acutely aware of the monsoons in CO. We got a late start due to some dummy whose intitals are HJ forgetting to set his alarm to Mountain Time and didn't get on the trail until 6:15 AM. We summited at ~11:50 AM. All the guide books, etc, say "get off the peaks by noon." We departed the peak about 12:10 PM. Within 20 minutes, clouds covered the peak so that we could no longer see it. About 20 minutes after that, it began to hail. About an hour or so after that, the very flood gates of heaven opened up and a deluge enveloped us with hail the size of my thumb nail. I was wearing my big white canvas Tilley hat with a hood up over it, and the hail still stung, yeeouch. The lightning would flash and the ear splitting thunder would resound about the time I could say the "wuh" part of "one" as I counted the seconds from flash to bang, indicating that the storm was right on top of us. Fortunately we were below tree line by the time the storm began in earnest.

On a side note, this was a good test for my new Big Agnes Sunnyside 2 tent. Our down (useless or worse when wet) sleeping bags were still dry inside the tent.

I got seriously depressed after my accident. I had been doing a lot of leading for the Sierra Club and had done some really interesting hikes that year including a big loop around the Mammoth Lakes basin from Duck Pass to just before Mammoth Pass as well as Mt. Whitney. Going up Whitney with those big 18" to 24" stone "steps," was no problem even with a heavy pack (it was October and about 17'F at night and snowing on and off). A short while later, I couldn't even walk. It took me about a year before I could walk again more or less normally, and the complications, mainly plantar fasciatis and tendinitis, only allowed me to hike intermittantly until early 2006. In 2006, it was a real joy to hike regularly and to do my first backpack since breaking my leg. In all, I did five backpacks last year, and I've already done four this year. Pent up demand, I guess. :)
Last edited by Hikin_Jim on Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:01 am

Hikin_Jim

Postby HikeUp » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:26 pm

Nice pictures, thanks for posting. Beautiful country. Congrats on a successful trip/summit.
HikeUp

Postby Perry » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:44 pm

That's great! I watched the whole thing.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:50 pm

Thanks, guys. It was really beautiful up there.

Take care,

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby 5150Irish » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:02 am

Glad to hear the trip was a success! I can't imagine what it was like to hike in that storm.

I was wondering if you did taper off your training right before the hike...and if so, do you think you benefited?

If you didn't taper off the training...do you wish you would have?

My first Whitney hike, and first time over 11,499 feet, is only 4.5 weeks away, and I am still undecided if I should go on my usual 15-22 mile training hike the weekend before.
5150Irish

Postby KathyW » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:04 am

Jim: Congratulations on bagging Taylor - especially after what you've been through the last few years! Your pictures are wonderful - that area looks so beautiful. I've never been to Colorado, so I'm looking forward to my first trip at the end of August. You got some good shots of Longs Peak - I hope to give that mountain a try.

Kathy
KathyW

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:01 am

Irish: I did taper off, thanks to the advice I got from people on this board. I did my last "big" hike about 3 weeks before (a lot of gain). I did a moderate but high altitude hike 2 weeks before (moderate gain). 1 week before, I went to a BBQ near the upper tram station with folks from this board and then did the ridge loop (tram to round valley, to desert view, back to the tram), a pretty easy hike (not much gain at all). I think it did help. I climbed well, even at 13k' and my muscles felt good.

The biggest surprise is that I had little trouble with the altitude. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't performing like I was at sea level, but I didn't have that constant out of breath feeling, nor did I have that splitting headache that I've had over 13k' before. I did make my self take as deep a breath as possible, and, above ~12.5k', I made my self breathe in with the left foot and breathe out with the right, every step.
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:29 am

Hi, Kathy, I hope your trip goes well. It's a beautiful part of the country. I could have easily taken twice as many photos.

Speaking of Longs Peak, I have a funny story. My dad who was an avid (see, it's genetic; it's not my fault) hiker went on business to Denver. Seeing Longs Peak, he immediately decided to climb it, but he had not brought any hiking boots. Deterred not at all, he climbed Longs Peak in his leather soled dress shoes. Anytime I think I'm hiking well, I just think back to dad. Keeps me humble. :)

Please post photos of your Longs hike!
Hikin_Jim

Postby 5150Irish » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:49 pm

Thanks for the info. I think I will taper off my training as well before Whitney.
5150Irish

Previous

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics