Training for a 13er

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby whitneyfan » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:32 am

I concur with Ellen's routine. Last year before my first Whitney summit, I started out with San Jacinto from the tram. That was a good altitude intro with plenty of mileage.
Then I did San Gorgonio via Vivian a couple weeks later.
Then San Bernadino 2 weeks after that. This should have been before Vivian, but whatever.

Whitney was 12 days later. In between I do short hikes on local coastal trails to keep in condition.

Before my second Whitney summit I did Vivian 1 week before and I did ok.

I think San Bernadino and Gorgonio are really good conditioners for both altitude and physical stamina.
whitneyfan

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:43 am

Cool. That's kind of what I am shooting for. Thanks.
Hikin_Jim

Postby HikeUp » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:18 pm

HJ: I was wondering if you ended up driving all the way to Islip Saddle last weekend on your training hike to Williamson, and whether the ACH was open or not. Thanks for any info.
HikeUp

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:20 pm

Doh! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Yes, I did drive up. The road is still closed. Sorry about delayed response (but at least I did go check). :)
Hikin_Jim

Postby HikeUp » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:24 pm

Many thanks for the info and especially for the effort! :D
HikeUp

I made it! Mt. Taylor (13,153')

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:25 pm

Well, doggone it, I made it! I summited Mt. Taylor (13,153') on Thursday 7/19/2007. Just got back to Denver from Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park. Tired but with a smile. More later...
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Perry » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:31 pm

nice! photos?
Perry
Site Admin

Postby zippetydude » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:21 pm

Go Jim! Congrats, what fun! Like Perry said - pics?

z
zippetydude

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:46 pm

Just got back home a couple of hours ago. Photos forthcoming. Gotta say, this area is one of the most beautiful I've hiked in. I saw moose, elk (more than I could count), and Big Horn Sheep. The wildflowers in the high altitude "tundra" were beautiful.

Surprisingly, I did OK at 13,000 feet with the altitude. Last time I was over 13k', I got a headache that really took a lot away from summiting. Thank you, God. Incidently, this is a bit of an accomplishment for me. I shattered my right femur in 2001. I still have a rod from knee to hip and a cross piece that extends into the hip. This is the first time subsequent to my accident and concommitant surgery that I've gone above 11,500'. The 11,500' was San Gorgonio of course. I'm still not full strength on the right leg, but it works well enough that I can do some interesting stuff. The route up Taylor was xc from about 11,700' to the summit and involved quite a bit of steep talus. Scrambling on loose talus is no place for a bad leg, but mine held on. Pretty cool. Feels really good to have summited post leg, though I'm tired now.
Last edited by Hikin_Jim on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby zippetydude » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:30 am

Watch out during monsoon season, carrying around that built in lightning rod.

I can hear the SAR team now. "Wow, he's fine above the waist, but from there down he's fried. Looks like the lightning hit him right in the . . ." :oops:

Well, you get the picture.

Glad to hear that you've healed up so well. I don't mean to make light of the surgery, that's a tough one. Being the outdoorsman that you are, were you going stir crazy after a while?

z
zippetydude

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics