Training for a 13er

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Training for a 13er

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:02 pm

Someone (thank you) recently sent me an interesting article on training: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7 ... -0,00.html

I'm training for Taylor Pk (13,153'). My planned summit date is 7/19, two weeks from today.

Per the article, one should taper down one's training in the last three weeks prior to a "big event" (marathon in the article, 13er for me). I've been doing fairly short hikes lately because of the heat, the most recent Stawberry Pk (6164', 6 mi RT, 2694' gain, 898 ft/mile avg gain) and Mt Lukens (5074', 8 mi RT, 3274' gain, 819 ft/mile avg gain). This Saturday 7/7 and next Saturday 7/14 are the last two Saturdays prior to summit day. I'm trying to figure out some reasonable mileage and gain numbers for a hike this Saturday.

The article suggests an approximately 35% reduction from wk 3 to wk 2. Using 8 miles and 3000', I'm coming up with about 5 miles and 2000 feet of gain. But the article goes on to suggest
Avoid running extremely hilly courses.... This kind of training leads to muscle-tissue damage...
So, to gain or not to gain on my last couple of hikes prior to Taylor, that is the question. Maybe I should do a little extra mileage and reduce the gain? A hike to Wellman Divide and back would be about 6.5 mi RT and 1300' gain. Am I on the right track here or completely lost? :?:

Any suggestions appreciated!
Hikin_Jim

Postby Ellen » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:22 am

Howdy Jim :D

When I ran, my last long run (18 miles) was 2 1/2 to 3 weeks before the marathon. I've found that with hiking, I can do a decent climb two weeks before.

I think it's about knowing how long it takes your body to recover.
In my case, the primary muscle damage comes from hiking downhill (eccentric muscle contractions). In the past, I've done Vivian two weeks before Whitney and West San Bernardino peak one week before Whitney.

In a previous post you wrote:

"My plan for the last two weeks was to do a pretty hard hike -- Cucamonga Pk (8859', 14 mi RT, 4200' gain, Robinson rating: Strenuous) -- two weeks before the 13er and then do a lighter hike -- Mt. Baden-Powell (9399', 8 mi RT, 2800' gain, Robinson rating: Moderate) -- the Saturday prior to the 13er. "

Since you're already two weeks before your climb today, consider a moderate climb this Saturday such as Baden-Powell (it's also about 500 ft higher).

See how you feel the Saturday before your climb and do something from the tram. Then enjoy Walt's barbecue :P

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:43 am

Sounds like good advice, particularly the BBQ part. :D

I'm definitely not going to do Cucamonga Pk tomorrow. Not sure about Baden-Powell either. It is not as steep as what I've been doing, but it's still a fairly steep hike at 702'/mile average gain. Don't want to tear down the muscles too much.

I'll think on this some.
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:33 pm

OK, here's my "brilliant" :) plan. I'm going to hike to UTM 420043 3804462 from the West Mt Williamson TH. It's about 7.5 mi RT, 2495 gain, 655' avg gain/mile. See http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=34. ... ize=l&s=25. UTM 420043 3804462 is the high point in the upper left hand side of the map that is just up from the saddle between it and the summit block of Mt. Williamson. The "V" in the larger type "Pleasant View Ridge" (so named because of its views into the desert) is right near the peak.

There's a lot of up and down along the way. My gain figures only capture the significant gains; I omitted some of the smaller bumps. Still, it should be fairly close, w/in 150' or so I think. Shorter miles than my other training hikes, less gain, mostly more moderate slopes although the section from the high point on Williamson to the final peak and back will have some steep stuff, hopefully relatively short and sweet. The route (a use trail) takes me up over 8000' for a good stretch of the way and should be well below 90 degrees temperature.

This is pushing it a bit over my target for this weekend by about 1 mile and 400', but if I get too hot or tired en route, I can always "call it a day" at any one of the multiple high points along PV Ridge and head back home. I think Baden-Powell, despite it being a great hike, would be too much at 8 mi RT, 2800' gain, 702' gain/mi.
Hikin_Jim

Postby Ellen » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:01 pm

Howdy Jim :D

The hike this Saturday sounds good. I've only been to the top of Baldy in the San Gabriels. Needless to say, I should expand my horizons :lol:

Have a great day and post a trip report if you have time.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby HikeUp » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:09 pm

HikinJim: sorry to butt in on this thread, but I was wondering if you were going to drive on to Islip Saddle (I know you said you're going to use the west TH). If so, could you report on whether or not they've opened the ACH past the saddle yet - I've been seeing hints that it might open this year. If not, so be it. Thanks in advance!

Oh, enjoy Mt. Williamson - a most pleasant peak.
HikeUp

ACH (Hwy 2) Past Islip Saddle

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:29 pm

I was up there last weekend and talked to a cyclist who had been all the way to I believe Vincent Gap. He said that they were doing final striping and such but that the road was "a bicyclist's dream".

I did Mt. Hawkins a few weeks ago, and the road from above looked solid. While I was there, someone (a local? a researcher?) drove up in an old blazer from the other side of the Islip Saddle gate, opened the gate and drove off. If that road isn't already open, it's darn close.

I am going to use the West (shorter and also shadier in the AM) trail, but I'll drive the extra 5 min. and "scout the route."
Hikin_Jim

Postby KathyW » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:16 pm

Jim:

Are you going to start out at the Glacier Gorge Trailhead (9240') to climb Taylor and then take the Andrews Glacier Route? It sounds like about a 10 mile round-trip with around 4000 feet gain. Baldy via the Ski Hut Trail is fairly similar in distance and gain, but I'm sure Taylor will be more difficult due to the higher elevation and the snow/glacier you might have to deal with. I find that it takes considerably more energy to travel in snow than on a clear trail. I can get up Baldy via the Ski Hut Trail in 2 hours and 45 minutes to 3 hours without snow, but in the winter with snow it can take me 5 hours or more to do the climb. Will you need crampons/ice axe to climb the glacier on Taylor?

I'm taking my first trip to Colorado at the end of August - so I'll be really interested in hearing how your trip goes. I'd like to do Longs Peak, Mount Elbert, and maybe give Capitol Peak a try while there.

If you're able to, spend the night before the sleeping at the trailhead - that will help with the acclimation. Also, make sure you drink tons of fluids - that helps at higher elevations. If you get any signs of a headache, stop and drink - it might make it go away. I find traveling above 12,000 to be a very slow affair.

Kathy
KathyW

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:05 am

Kathy:

I'm actually going to do Taylor and possibly Powell from the west side near Grand Lake. I'm going to do it in the context of a 4 day back pack through RMNP, one day of which will be a summit day.

Yes, elevation will be killer, but snow shouldn't be a problem. I've talked to some people on SummitPost.org and 14ers.com, and the snow report for that route is "minimal," no ice axe or crampons required. (Hallelujah, I didn't want to carry them) :)

Yeah, above 13k kicks my posterior. It will be a slow go above 12k and the just plain difficult above 13k. I really haven't done a lot of altitude this year, so 13k will be a challenge. I actuallly was going to do a 14er but my hiking partners said, "I don't think so, Jim."

The water thing is good advice. Altitude really dessicates things, and dehydration = Altitude Sickness (AMS).

The first day of my hike will be to a camp at about 10,500. The next day will be to Taylor at 13k+ and possibly Powell, even higher. Not the world's best plan (a lot of gain and elevation early on), but one that fits with everyone's schedule.

Wish me luck!
Hikin_Jim

Postby KathyW » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:59 am

Good luck Jim! I'll bet it will be a beautiful trip and not dry like it is around here this year.
KathyW

Next

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics