Whitewater Canyon questions

Posted:
Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:42 pm
by Brett
I've been wanting to do some exploring in Whitewater Canyon and it looks like I might finally get some time. I've only been as far as where the PCT crosses the river, and really want to get further up the canyon. I'd like to get as far up canyon as possible and camp. Wondering if there are any water sources other than the Whitewater? If not, would it be better to pump filter the water from the river or would using a Steripen suffice? Is there any livestock grazing in that area? I've read that there can be bears in the area. Any advice on camping would be greatly welcomed.

Posted:
Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:52 pm
by scottmac
You would benefit greatly by talking with the rangers at Whitewater Preserve. I know a couple of them hiked from the preserve to SG this past summer via the middle fork ridge returning via the north fork. I have hiked the river past Stiles landing (A on map) to Wathier landing (B) which looks like where more than a few folks have camped. You can reach Wathier as well via the PCT and Catclaw (C) which has a old wagon road through it, from the Whitewater or Mission Creek Preserves. Hell-For-Sure Canyon is just east of the north fork.
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=34.03730,-116.68746&z=15&t=T&marker0=34.04409%2C-116.71339%2C12.3%20km%20ExSE%20of%20San%20Gorgonio%20Mountain%20CA&marker1=34.02830%2C-116.71562%2C12.8%20km%20NE%20of%20Morongo%20Indian%20Reservation%20CA&marker2=34.03730%2C-116.68746%2C15.4%20km%20NE%20of%20Morongo%20Indian%20Reservation%20CA

Posted:
Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:04 pm
by Brett
Thanks Scottmac. I did speak with the rangers on my last hike and they were helpful. Hopefully they can advise me on the water quality. I'm sure it would be safe with a filter, but would prefer to carry just the steripen to save weight.
Did you happen to see any evidence of grazing on your trip? I know it may sound like a dumb question, but I was quite surprised on a recent hike in Palm Canyon.

Posted:
Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:42 pm
by scottmac
There is a feral herd of about 30 head west of the canyon. I have seen evidence (fresh patties) here, just off the PCT – see (A) on ACME Map:
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=33.97927,-116.67270&z=15&t=T&marker0=33.97927%2C-116.67270%2C12.6%20km%20ExNE%20of%20Cabazon%20CA

Posted:
Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:56 pm
by zippetydude
Hi Brett. I do the PCT going north out of Whitewater a few times a year. I really like it after it crosses the river. You'll have about 5 miles of wonderful terrain as you go up and over a ridge, with beautiful views of the Whitewater canyon and San Jacinto behind you. Stop and look back, it's worth seeing. When you descend from the ridge, you'll drop down to Mission Creek for a very long way, and even when you leave the creek, you'll come back to it after a few more miles, so you'll have a water source the whole way. I never filter and I've never had any problem with water quality. As far as grazing, there's some between the Cottonwood trailhead and Whitewater, but I've never seen any cattle above Whitewater.
Let me know if you have any other questions. This is a great section of trail, especially this time of year, so have fun. You might see me out there this weekend.
z