South Fork Loop

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

South Fork Loop

Postby Ellen » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:09 am

Howdy all :D

Several weeks ago I did what I call the South Fork Loop. It's about 24 miles roundtrip. I started at 6 AM at the trailhead and went up to Dollar Lake Saddle, along the ridge to San G, down by Dry Lake, and back to Trail Fork springs and South Fork trailhead. Took me 3:45 to summit and 3:20 back to the car.

It's a great day hike for anyone wanting lots of mileage and varied scenery. The down side is the water situation. I carried three liters (would probably need four liters now). I also carry iodine for emergenices.

I've always done the loop in a counter-clockwise direction. Some time I'll do it clockwise. I don't like the condition of the trail near Dry Lake, washed out and rocky.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby AlanK » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:00 pm

I agree that it is a nice loop. It's longer than Vivian Creek but with less elevation change. It is certainly a good option for a nice, long day hike. If you are so inclined, you can head straight up Charlton from Dollar Lake Saddle and bag it, Little Charlton, and Jepson on the way to San G. It's about the same distance but it makes up for that missing elevation change. :)
AlanK

Postby Ellen » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:54 pm

Howdy Alan :D

I know I can always count on you to increase the difficulty of a hike :lol:

Wish I could hike with you to further enjoy your wonderful sense of humor, but I'll have to find a way to slow you down first :wink:

One of these days I want to do the 9 peak challenge. Howver, there's still a lot of San J I haven't seen.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby AlanK » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:12 pm

I know I can always count on you to increase the difficulty of a hike

When he comes up with ideas like that, my son calls it increasing the fun. I suppose it's all good as long as you're actually having fun! :D
AlanK

South Fork Loop

Postby JayO » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:23 pm

There were 5 of us on Saturday (6/30) hiking the South Fork Loop - we went counter clockwise as well. Once back to the car, all 5 of us voted that we should have come back from SanG summit via Dollar Saddle - the Dry Lake part of the descent was not nearly as enjoyable. We were able to make it back to the one decent running water source near the split to Dollar & Dry lakes and pump out some fluids for the last stretch down. The temperature was bearable but it is sooo dry.
JayO

Postby zippetydude » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:16 am

I agree that the backside can be kind of pesky. To avoid that, and to minimize the time between water refills, I've taken to going up and back by Dollar Lake lately.

Here's the best way I've found to do it - I start with a hip pack full of gatorade, and I carry 2 empty bottles up to South Fork Meadows.

I fill them at South Fork Meadows, drink from one, and stash what's left (about 1/2 of it usually) partway to the peak. I carry the remaining full one on up, thus carrying as little as necessary as short a distance is possible.

One caveat: I sometimes go right past my stashed bottle on the way down, and I have to turn around and go back up and get it. How dumb is that?

In any case, for this time of year it cuts out a few dry, rocky miles, so it's not a bad option.

By the way, Ellen, you're crankin' up those trails. 3:45 to the peak is movin!

z
zippetydude

Postby Ellen » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:23 pm

Howdy Z,

High praise indeed coming from the Zippetydude with the cape, thanks so much 8)

I think all those Skyline ascents this spring really helped. However, as I don't want to become a "corpus crispy" or "dead blond hiking" in the Skyline inferno, I'll be cruising among the pine trees until it cools off.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby magikwalt » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:35 pm

JayO - Were you perhaps with a group of guys that had a pack dog with you? I think we saw you at the stream crossing.

Ellen - Dead Blonde Hiking. That's even better than One Eyed Fat Man.
magikwalt

Postby JayO » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:50 pm

Magikwalt - no, not us - no dog in our group.

Did you perhaps run into the two guys who ran up to the summit barefoot? That was bit out of the ordinary - my feet hurt watching them going through the rocky sections.
JayO

Postby magikwalt » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:47 am

Yeah JayO we saw him. Barefoot Ted he goes by. I was dumbstruck when I saw him. I see me in the hospital if I were to attempt it. He was just making it to the summit as we were heading down.
magikwalt

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics