South Face San Gorgonio

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

South Face San Gorgonio

Postby halhiker » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:48 am

Has anyone done the South East side of San Gorgonio? I'm thinking of doing a hike from Millard Canyon up the Deer Springs Trail to Snow Peak, Raywood Flat, Silverwood Falls, up the ridge to the Tarn and then up SG Peak and down the other side. I'm thinking this fall because it's too hot to do now since it's in the sun. My biggest concern is brush (OK, and snakes).
Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Hal
halhiker

Postby Perry » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:16 am

I've been wondering the same thing. That's one hell of a climb and a lot of distance. Now if I can wake up tomorrow just to do Vivian.... maybe there will be snacks along on the trail....
Perry
Site Admin

Postby magikwalt » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:54 am

Looks like its about 11-12 miles and maybe 6,000ft of elevation gain. Seems like it would be a great trip. Lots of possiblities once you made San G. I'd think it wouldn't be too hard to get someone to drop you at the trailhead and then meet at a resturant in Forest Falls for an early dinner. I doubt there's a Waffle House anywhere near by. :lol:
magikwalt

Postby KathyW » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:23 am

How will you get into Millard Canyon? I think that area is closed.
KathyW

Postby halhiker » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:56 pm

According to the San Gorgonio Wilderness Association the Kitching Peak trailhead is closed for now. I sent an e-mail to the Forest Service asking about the status. I know the big fire last year burned a lot of area in Millard Canyon but I don't know what.

I guess when the time comes I'll have to make some calls to see about getting access or figure out a work around. It's too hot now anyway.

Hal
halhiker

Postby KathyW » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:05 pm

The area isn't closed because of the fire - it's closed because the Morongo Indians have closed off the standard road access to the area.

Maybe there's some other way of getting in there, but I don't know it.
KathyW

Postby magikwalt » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:35 pm

Not to worry Hal. This is why my wife can drive the Excursion in 4WD without headlights. She'll insert us quietly and then meet us for the early dinner at El Mexican.
magikwalt

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics