Riverside Resident Hiking The PCT

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Riverside resident hiking the PCT

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:16 am

. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby magikwalt » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:07 pm

Hi Cy,

Did you ever get it clear where a person could park a car to hike up the PCT in Snowcreek. Everywhere I looked up there the signs called for towing. One of the guys I hiked with about 2 months ago warned me that the locals call for a tow truck routinely.

I would like to do a short hike to get aquainted with the area.

Thanks,

Walt
magikwalt

Riverside resident hiking the PCT

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:13 pm

We parked down the road just before the power station or whatever that little rectangular concrete building is. They dont want anyone parking next to it.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby magikwalt » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:44 pm

I understand that they have water available as you leave the DWP road and start up the trail. Can anyone confirm that?
magikwalt

Postby zippetydude » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:32 pm

People usually park just before the A shaped sign on the main road. I've always parked there, and I've never had any trouble. You'll stay left on the DWP road, pass through a gate, and then go up a fairly steep incline for about a mile. The PCT cuts off to the right, and there's a clearly marked boulder indicating the trail. Yes, there's a water fountain right there, and they have a disclaimer sign saying it's up to you to filter it. I never have, and the water is fine.

The trail is wonderfully graded, and is one of my all time favorites. Watch out for snakes, however, as the trail can be somewhat overgrown between miles 3 and 10. I have seldom made a trip up this trail without encountering snakes, so plan on it and be extra aware.

Incidentally, I have some gatorade cached about 17 miles up if you want to make a through hike of it, I'll try to help you locate it. It's well hidden in three different spots, so I'm pretty sure at least one cache or two remain - probably all 3 are there.

It works out to 31 miles, but it's very pleasant. If you do end up scouting it out, the down trip isn't bad because the incline is so mild. Hope this helps.

z
zippetydude

Postby magikwalt » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:06 am

Thanks Zippety. That's exactly what I was looking for.
magikwalt

Postby magikwalt » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:35 pm

If you travel up the PCT southbound towards San J is there a bailout up at Fuller Ridge area. I'm old and blind in one eye. I can't make up my mind if a car can reach the trail head of it you have to hike out out past a barrier gate.

Anyone actually driven up there?
magikwalt

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics