Vivian creek -- June 10

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Vivian creek -- June 10

Postby Ellen » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:22 pm

Howdy all,

Does anyone want to go up Vivian creek on Sunday June 10? I haven't had any takers on the ridge hike. I have two spots on the permit if two people want to go up Vivian to San G and back down.

We could meet at the ranger station. I'll pay $20 towards gas to be followed up to Angelus Oaks and leave my car, then ride with whomever to the Vivian creek trailhead. It would be an additioanl 30 minutes of driving at the most.

Please post here and/or e-mail me.

Thanks,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby magikwalt » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:10 pm

Hi Ellen,

I've never been over to San G and would like to go. I am expecting to do a slow slow trip of to the tram on the Saturday the 9th though. Let me take a look at a profile on Vivian to see what its going to hit my legs with. Do you have a particular pace in mind?

Walt
magikwalt

Postby Ellen » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:46 am

Howdy Walt :D

I would love to hike San G with you on Sunday if you opt to not hike to the tram on Saturday. Based on your time to the tram, I think our pace will be perfectly compatible. I am in no hurry to summit San G as I want to enjoy the ridge. I figure it would take us 4 and 1/2 hours to summit comfortably.

San G via Vivian is much easier than the tram. You gain 5500 ft in 8.6 miles. Less elevation gain and less miles. Also, it's much cooler at the start and during the climb, which also makes it easier than Skyline.

We have several options. We can do the car stagger and hike San G and both hike the ridge. Or I'll hike up with you and do the ridge. Vivian has plenty of people on the trail, so you wouldn't get lonely 8) Unlike Skyline, the trail is also easy to find.

Let me know if you want to go and we can connect via phone.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby magikwalt » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:29 am

Right now the Saturday C2C looks like it is going to go. It will be my wife's first trip up. The pace will be quite slow and I normally hike the day after a C2C anyway. Right now I'm pretty certain to be there unless I manage to follow a bottle of water over the edge or something.

I've been wanting to get over to San G and get a few routes in so I can know where to take the family.

Thank you for the offer.

Walt
magikwalt

Postby magikwalt » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:04 pm

On Sunday I hiked with Ellen and Karen on a long long shuttle hike. We left cars in Angelus Oaks and then drove over to the Vivian Trail to start. We stepped off right about 6:00am. Ellen did a great job of setting a nice pace up to the summit of San G. Neither Karen or I had ever been up any of the San G or San B trails so we certainly appreciated Ellen's extensive knowledge.

After a summit snack we proceeded to cover the ridge route over through Dollar Saddle, past Anderson Peak and bagged the East San B peak on our way down to Angelus Oaks. Everyone we met along the trail were happy hikers.

We each reloaded with a little water at Limber Pines Spring Creek (?) and continued to the car park. Afterwards Ellen treated us to a local favorite El Mexican in Forest Falls. The chow and beer were really good after 25 miles and 13 hours of great weather and beautiful mountains. The best part of the trip for me was the great companionship and a chance to meet and hike with two more wonderful people I hadn't met before.

Thanks to both Ellen and Karen for having me along!
magikwalt

Thanks Walt and Karin!!!

Postby Ellen » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:25 pm

Howdy all :D

A big thanks to Walt and Karin for allowing me to achieve my three year dream of doing this hike.

I couldn't have had better company. On the way up Vivian, Walt kept us entertained with tales of his travels and experiences while serving as a Marine overseas. Whenever we met hikers coming down, Walt asked them if there was really a Waffle House and pub at the top of San G :lol:

When we reached the lookout above High Creek (about 10K ft), I pointed across to the 10,000 Foot Ridge that Z-dude has climbed. Warning: there's no trail up that ridge :o Walt summed up my thoughts perfectly when he said something like "I don't think so."

When we hit the area I call the "traverse" (about 10,500 ft) Walt and Karin both had a few choice observations :P

The summit was gorgeous. Karin noted that San J looks closer from the top of San G than San G looks from the top of San J. I agreed but maybe it was the added hypoxia from the additional 700 ft of elevation :wink:

From the summit we descended 1.5 K ft to Dollar saddle. The ridge trail provides outstanding views of Big Bear Lake and vicinity as well as Mill creek and Forrest Falls. We had our permit checked by ranger Sarah and proceeded to climb out of Dollar Saddle to take in more breath-taking sights. It was surprising how much my legs didn't want to go uphill after going downhill :? This was also the warmest part of the hike.

Walt kept wisely checking his GPS to make sure that I wasn't leading us astray. He could also tell when we were getting close to intersections with other trails -- very cool technology. The only downside was when we had 9+ miles left on the trail to our cars and he informed us the GPS indicated 4.5 miles (as the crow flies).

We signed in as The Three Amigos at West SB peak and started the final 8 mile descent into Angeles Oaks. We took a brief stop at the stone bench overlooking Mill creek -- I've always loved this spot. The continued camaraderie and conversation on the hike down took my mind off the usual aches and pains.

By the time we reached the cars, I couldn't believe we had been out for 13 hours. Thanks to the companionship and scenery, the time flew by. The beer and food at El Mexican tasted like ambrosia.

All in all, the perfect day. Better yet, Walt and Karin are still taling to me 8)

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby magikwalt » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:20 pm

When Ellen says she'll introduce you to an area, she means the WHOLE area!!! It was just what the Dr. ordered for me. I like doing 20+ day hikes once a month or so.
magikwalt

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics