Page 1 of 1

High Sierra Trail Mid July (need a 2nd or 3rd)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:21 pm
by OsideMatt
I'm working on my big trip for this year and am getting hammered on logistics as I usually go with my bro and now he's out. I want to do the HST W-E but can't get a response from either of the two shuttle co's and from what I can find the better of the two runs about $300 ea. at a double occupancy rate. For that $$ I'd rather have some company and car shuttle.

My intital iteniary was:
TH 7/7 - towards Lone Pine after wk
F - car drop, catch shuttle or drive the 300mi (unbelieveble right) to Sequoia
S - Bearpaw Meadow (11.4)
S - Big Arroyo (11)
M - Upper Funston (12)
T - Junction Meadow (9.7)
W - Crabtree Meadow (8.9)
TH - get back on schedule, relax, etc.
F - Summit Whitney down to Whitney Portal Camp (15.6)
That Fri the 15th is 100% lunar illumination and the moon sets at 0612A
S - Eat burgers and get back to Sequoia to p/u a car
S - home

All that's negotiable of course but permits need to get pulled pretty soon. Full moon with illumination most of the night (which I love out there) is centered on 7/15 and moves about a day earlier each month. Any takers, $100 ride offers, or transportation recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:38 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Hi, Matt,

Good looking itinerary.

On the day where you mark down Crabtree Mdw as your night's stop, you might want to go a bit farther up to Guitar Lake. Makes the last day a bit shorter.

I used Mammoth Shuttle once to get to Reno from Mammoth. They were good. Dunno if they're still in business.

Getting back to your car is a PITA. Dunno if you can do any public transit. When I did a partial HST trip some time ago, I got someone to drop me off on the Western side and then hiked out via Cottonwood Lakes. I hitched from Cottonwood down to town and then took the Greyhound back to S Calif.

Hope that helps,

HJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:16 am
by OsideMatt
Thanks Jim. Everything helps at this point. Most of the shuttles are defunct so I'm working the bus S to Lake Issabella plan and working on a ride N.

Are there many good spots at Guitar Lake? I have heard from some friends that the whole stretch from Wallace Creek through Crabtree Mdw is mosquito malaria hell so getting higher and closer is certainly a good idea. Guitar Lake will certainly work but I'm already a little worried about it being such a high traffic time of yr.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:21 am
by Hikin_Jim
I haven't personally stayed at Guitar Lake, but my brother and my dad have. They didn't indicate any problems finding a decent spot. Don't take that as gospel. By all means seek out more solid confirmation, but I think you'll find Guitar Lake is a viable option.

HJ