GPS

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

GPS

Postby Kathryn61 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:53 pm

I'm planning on getting a GPS. Does anyone have any recommendations?

And are they difficult to learn to use??

Thanks!

Kathryn
"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake."
User avatar
Kathryn61
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:03 pm
Location: La Quinta CA

GPS

Postby Norris » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi Kathryn! You can't go wrong with a Garmin. The best ones for hiking and climbing are the GPSMap 60Csx and the newer more expensive 62s or 62st.
They are not difficult to learn to use, but you do need to either have someone show you how to use it and/or read the instructions and practice a bit in the field in good conditions. A GPS is invaluable if you know how to use it and it is properly set up and you have sufficient battery power. But beware of just buying one, loading maps into it, figuring you are good to go without reading any instructions, and then trying to navigate with it in an emergency. I'm not sure if the newer Garmins have the same quirk or not, but the older ones like my 60CS require you to go through a compass calibration procedure every time you change the batteries.
Norris
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Del Mar

Postby Kathryn61 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:17 pm

Thank you so much for the info Norris! I'll look into Garmin, and I definitley don't want to have to calibrate every time I change batteries, so I'll try to get one without the quirk.
Oh and one more question: Do you have any idea how much I need to spend to get a good one?

Thanks again!

Kathryn
"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake."
User avatar
Kathryn61
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:03 pm
Location: La Quinta CA

Postby Norris » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:13 pm

It looks like you can get the older 60CSx for $245
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-60CSx-Handheld-Navigator/dp/B000CSOXTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300513959&sr=8-1 which is about $100 less than the newer 62 series entry level price. But if you can afford it, the 62 series is better. With the older 60 series, you typically need to buy a DVD of digital maps in addition to the GPS unit itself and use a laptop or desktop PC to download maps into the unit before each trip. The newer units have more memory, micro SD slots, etc. and more options for maps, including maps from vendors other than Garmin.
Norris
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Del Mar

Postby Norris » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:31 pm

According to this thread about differences between the 62s and 62st, 60Csx units are available for a lot less than $245: "There are better prices to be had. Today(1/5/2011) at 9:45 AM PST Amazon.com is having a Lightning Deal on the 60CSx which means it will be even less than $199.00 and with free shipping if you are a Prime Member. "
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=266076
I'm of the opinion that it is worth the extra money to get a 62s, that's probably the way I'll go. Another option is the DeLorme, they have a unit that has SPOT functionality built in. Since I already have a SPOT, I am not considering that, but anyone getting a GPS who doesn't already have a SPOT probably should.
Norris
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Del Mar

Postby Kathryn61 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:05 pm

Thanks again Norris! I have a SPOT and just got it activated, so this is good to know. I figure if I'm going to buy one, I should get the one that will be really good and user friendly even if I have to spend a bit more. But once I get one, is there tech support if I have trouble using it?

Kathryn
"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake."
User avatar
Kathryn61
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:03 pm
Location: La Quinta CA

Postby Norris » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:54 pm

Yes, Garmin has tech support. If you end up getting a Garmin I can show you how to use it. I just ordered one of the new 62S units and if it arrives in time I plan to take it out Sunday. I've started using Macs now so I'll be interested to see what the Garmin MapSource and other software is like on the Mac as compared to Windows.
Norris
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Del Mar


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests